PDA

View Full Version : Mail behaviour with multiple adressees

SteveClark
12th March 2008, 11:47 AM
G'day all

I'd never encountered this before and though it was worth a mention.

Monday I did some work on a report and sent it to a few different people by separating their email addresses with commas. The first address was incorrect and I received a bounce back. I fixed the address and resent the message to just that person. What I discovered the next day was that none of the other adressees received the email. It seems that when one in the list fails none after that receive the email.

Is that common in mail programs of just Apple Mail?

Cheers
Steve

swoffa
12th March 2008, 11:51 AM
I've always thought the email address separator was usually a semi-colon ;
If I'm correct, Mail would have read all the addresses as one incorrect address. That would be why you only received one bounce back.

snark
12th March 2008, 11:59 AM
...What I discovered the next day was that none of the other adressees received the email. It seems that when one in the list fails none after that receive the email.

Is that common in mail programs of just Apple Mail?

That is not a common thing with mail programs. Most will attempt deliver to all the intended recipients, and if one is a dud, it fails, but the rest go through.

However, it might be related to how and when a multi-recipient e-mail message is broken up into individual e-mails. I'm not sure whether Apple Mail sends them as one e-mail to your ISP's SMTP server, which does the splitting; or whether Mail itself breaks them up as it sends them.
It it's the former, then maybe your ISPs mail server did not do the expected thing and deliver to all the 'good' recipients...

I presume you are using normal POP/SMTP internet mail, and not anything esoteric.

SteveClark
12th March 2008, 04:24 PM
Yes, just POP/SMTP.

I'll do some exploring later to see if semicolons make a difference.