PDA

View Full Version : Finder crashes on one specific folder

one_nil
12th March 2008, 11:40 AM
Hi all,

I am having trouble with one specific folder crashing everytime I go to open it..

Is there a way to diagnose the problem ?

Basically -

I open a client folder, and then open the images folder inside of that.

And it crashes there..

Forcing me to Relaunch finder..

Its so strange...

Any advice on resolving the problem ?

Computer is a brand new Macbook Pro with 200gb 7200rpm hdd running OS X 10.5.2

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B00
SMC Version: 1.27f1
Serial Number: ----------------
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Brains
12th March 2008, 11:48 AM
Boot from your Mac OS X Install DVD, and from the File menu, choose 'Disk Utility'. Run the 'Repair Disc' option. This should fix the directory problem that is causing the Finder to crash. if it cannot, it will tell you, and you will need more powerful software to effect a repair, or you will need to back up all your data to an external hard drive, reformat, and re-install everything.

snark
12th March 2008, 11:48 AM
Just an idea - could it be the thumbnails are corrupt? Try opening the parent folder in the 'multi-columns' view, and see if you can navigate to your destination folder that way.

Currawong
12th March 2008, 02:00 PM
You can post the Finder's crash log (to be found in your home folder's Library/Logs/CrashReporter) here and we'll have a look.

HOWEVER, please put {code}{/code} tags around it (with square brackets instead of curly brackets) so it doesn't take up the whole thread. :)

one_nil
13th March 2008, 11:32 AM
yeah, it could be this -

as it is only happening in coverflow view...

Multi-columns is fine...

Just an idea - could it be the thumbnails are corrupt? Try opening the parent folder in the 'multi-columns' view, and see if you can navigate to your destination folder that way.

one_nil
13th March 2008, 11:34 AM
It is not showing a crash report for the specific event ?

Only finder report is from the 8/3/2008 ... nothing that has happened in the recent days ?

Maybe "relaunch finder" doesn't count as a crash as it only locks up ? :S

You can post the Finder's crash log (to be found in your home folder's Library/Logs/CrashReporter) here and we'll have a look.

HOWEVER, please put {code}{/code} tags around it (with square brackets instead of curly brackets) so it doesn't take up the whole thread. :)

Eva01
9th October 2008, 02:08 AM
one_nil did you ever find out the cause and get a solution? A folder I am navigating to will crash the Finder. But in multi-column view it is ok. How can this be fixed?

I am running 10.5.5 btw but it did it also in 10.5.4 before I did the software update.

Eva01

Eva01
9th October 2008, 02:19 AM
Ok the following worked for me. Navigate to the folder in terminal. Then type rm .DS_Store

That worked for me as it was a corrupt .DS_Store file.

Eva01