PDA

View Full Version : Parellels, Vista, and virues query.

gallet
11th March 2008, 10:31 AM
I need to install Parallels and Vista to run some Garmin software. How careful do I need to be with regards to viruses. I won't be using Vista to do anything except work with a single piece of software that does not need to connect to the web.

When running Vista in Parallels do I need to make sure that my internet connection is disconnected to be safe or am I OK as long as I don't access the web through a browser in Vista?

jeremy_warnock
11th March 2008, 10:50 AM
remember even sandboxed inside parallels windows is still windows.

You can A: install freeavg into your vista so if you ever do connect to the net you are ok
or
b: disable the network card so windows cannot under any way connect to the net

Choice is yours

af3556
11th March 2008, 11:20 AM
If you run your windows VM with the default Shared Networking setup, and don't surf the web or read email or download anything even remotely dubious onto the Windows machine, you'll be fine. Running AV in the VM would be a waste of effort and CPU.

As the Parallels documentation says:

Shared Networking the recommended type of networking for the VM. Your virtual machine will share whatever network connection is used by your Mac. You will be able to access the network from the VM as long your Mac OS X is connected to the network. The only limitation of this mode is that the VM is not visible from the external network

The "limitation" is in fact a benefit for Windows :-)

If you want to be really safe, take a snapshot of the virgin system and always 'revert to snapshot' whenever you start the VM.

Ben

gehenna
11th March 2008, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't worry about any security software, just leave the windows firewall on. If you're only goingto be using a single app, and you're reasonably security conscious in terms of knowing where to go and not go online, then you should be fine.

I've been running without a/v or spyware software for the last 3 years or so with no infections at all. and before you ask how i know this if i don't have software to check - i have installed software a few times along the way to be sure :)

Currawong
11th March 2008, 12:57 PM
Viruses require a mechanism to get into the computer, usually a combination of browsing dubious web sites with a non-updated computer and being stupid enough to click on the wrong things. If you're not going to be using the web or email in the VM, you have nothing to worry about.

Disko
11th March 2008, 01:02 PM
Lets not forget the MSBlast worm (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.mspx), Curra. That one didn't require anything more than an active net connection on the computer.

forgie
11th March 2008, 01:16 PM
Lets not forget the MSBlast worm (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.mspx), Curra. That one didn't require anything more than an active net connection on the computer.
And while that particular security exploit made the world (and MS) wake up to network security, that was in 2003, nearly 5 years ago. There hasn't been an exploit anywhere near the severity of that one in years.

snark
11th March 2008, 02:32 PM
If you're able to run Windows as a non-admin user, you will protect yourself from many of the exploits that are out there.
However, you will still need an admin account to install the applications.

chrsha01
11th March 2008, 10:38 PM
If you run Windows on the Mac, you are making an opening for viruses to break in. Just don't surf the internet or download anything on your Windows account and you'll be fine.