PDA

View Full Version : Roxio Toast 9 coming soon (Mini Rant)

leon
11th March 2008, 09:28 AM
Macworld | Toast 9 features Blu-ray video, streaming (http://www.macworld.com/article/132446/2008/03/toast9.html)

Seems like Roxio is bring out a new version of Toast Titanium soon which will allow burning video to Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Rather than releasing a point upgrade, there are instead releasing version 9, and charging US$99 or US$69 for the upgrade. There are a few other "features" being thrown into the mix, but from where I stand, this is just price gouging by Roxio for what should be updates to version 8 (which in itself should have been a point update to 7).

For those that do not know, Toast 8 let you burn data to next gen media, but not video. I think that it sucks that Roxio is charging so much money to let you burn to Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Hopefully Apple introduce this feature at the OS level, so I don't have to buy Toast 9.

AnthoMac
11th March 2008, 10:19 AM
I found Toast to be quite bloated and the application is huge, compared to the likes of Liquid CD and other quality freeware burning software.

I think Apple cannot provide a good standalone burning software due to lawsuits of unfair competition of bundling apps though that didn't stop iLife.

Link
11th March 2008, 10:19 AM
When I install a toast 8.x it always asks if I want to add blu-ray support...I just assumed that this meant it could then allow one to burn blu-ray disks.

Also, if you click next to the bid red burn button on any 8.x version of Toast you can change the view of the space on the disc to BD & BD DL, blu-ray disc and blu-ray dual layer.

W9cae
11th March 2008, 10:29 AM
I think its the EU who put a stop to burner software in the OS at an advanced level ?

Toast & "Nero on the PC" side seem to be doing the same tactics. Lots of bloat with useless features, slow operation and costly upgrades.

Fortunately I have moved away from disks for the most part with my Apple TV & iPod. Burnt disks dont last all that long and flash memory is becoming cheaper.

leon
11th March 2008, 10:33 AM
When I install a toast 8.x it always asks if I want to add blu-ray support...I just assumed that this meant it could then allow one to burn blu-ray disks.

Also, if you click next to the bid red burn button on any 8.x version of Toast you can change the view of the space on the disc to BD & BD DL, blu-ray disc and blu-ray dual layer.

That option will only let you burn disks as data. It will not allow you to format them to play video in a stand alone Blu-ray player.

El Guardo
11th March 2008, 11:18 AM
I found Toast to be quite bloated and the application is huge, compared to the likes of Liquid CD and other quality freeware burning software.

XSlimmer will be your friend.

marc
11th March 2008, 11:27 AM
I think Apple cannot provide a good standalone burning software due to lawsuits of unfair competition of bundling apps though that didn't stop iLife.
But... OS X and Disk Utility can already burn CDs/DVDs...

Johnny Appleseed
11th March 2008, 12:36 PM
Toast 8.0.3 still breaks my Dock in Leopard (i.e. it won't update as apps are launched and quit). Anyone else have this problem?

mechcon
11th March 2008, 01:15 PM
I wonder if 9.0 will include bloat too? :P

Yeah I've noticed that the newer the version, the more bloat there is, and how it feels... The mob who made Disco - Mac Disc Burning (http://discoapp.com/) have been pretty silent as of late too..

marc
11th March 2008, 02:27 PM
The mob who made Disco - Mac Disc Burning have been pretty silent as of late too..
That's because they're busy working on the My Dream App applications... oh, nup, they've bailed on that. Maybe they're busy on Widget Machine... hmm gave up on that too. MacHeist? Yeah, they stuck at that one because it made them a fat wad of cash. ;)

iSilver
11th March 2008, 03:12 PM
I found a couple of stories on this;

Toast 9 Titanium for Streaming TV to iPhones - News and Analysis by PC Magazine (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2274847,00.asp)
Roxio Announces Toast 9 for Mac OS X (http://www.applegazette.com/mac/roxio-announces-toast-9-for-mac-os-x/)

http://www.applegazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/toast9.jpg

it seems the "exciting" new feature is; Roxio Streamer - a new free service that allows you to Stream TV shows to your iPhone, iPod Touch, etc."

wouldn't that be more in the "Popcorn" realm than Toast, but you can't have BLOAT without features that aren't needed can you??

Top work Roxio!!

snark
11th March 2008, 03:18 PM
So if I'm looking for something with more functionality that Disk Utility, but I don't want to reward Roxio for their rant-inducing behaviour, what should I be looking at?

forgie
11th March 2008, 03:25 PM
While Toast could certainly be classified as bloatware in some regards, it actually works. In fact, I find it quite useful - you can usually drop any type of video file on there, and turn it into a DVD. No messing around with transcoding, no config, it just works. Yeah, the UI is a bit slow and laggy, but it's not hard to use and it actually works.

I only use it for burning DVDs from video files, and for creating discs with specific formats (old style PC/MAC CDROMs and stuff like that).

El Guardo
11th March 2008, 03:42 PM
That's because they're busy working on the My Dream App applications... oh, nup, they've bailed on that. Maybe they're busy on Widget Machine... hmm gave up on that too. MacHeist? Yeah, they stuck at that one because it made them a fat wad of cash. ;)

They updated Disco last month. Note that I agree with your sentiment.

AcesHoney
16th March 2008, 07:03 PM
Stood in DSE today looking at both toast 8 and Popcorn, and couldn't decide, I am using leopard and have heard that there are some issues with both those programs. Basically I just want to burn to DVD from the vob files created with Mac the Ripper. What do you think is my best option.. wait for toast 9 to see if the problems are recitified or just get the basic popcorn and hope for the best, or is there a freeware that will do this? I wont be doing that many, just the occasional one here and there, like others I am tending to use the Apple TV format rather than having a whole heap of disks lying around, but since moving to mac haven't been able to burn disks like I could with nero on PC and just want to have that option if I need it.
Any advise greatly appreciated
Lynn

rob05
16th March 2008, 07:41 PM
from what I gather next week this should be announced and hopefully available