PDA

View Full Version : Aperture2

Tassiecelt
11th March 2008, 08:44 AM
I've just bought a Nikon DSLR and want to do more with images than iPhoto will do.
Has anyone tried Aperture?

I would appreciate recommendations, thanks in advance.

jeremy_warnock
11th March 2008, 09:01 AM
I use aperture with my nikon d300 and d70. Why dont you download the trail and give it a whirl.

theres a good thread hear on the aperture 2 update

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/13/44468-aperture-2-0-a.html

leon
11th March 2008, 09:02 AM
Am using it on an iMac C2E 2.8GHz with 4GB of RAM. This is about the minimum specs I consider to be usable. This machine with 2GB of RAM was just too slow, even for a hobbyist photographer. After upgrading my RAM to 4GB on the weekend, I have found that when I run Aperture and nothing else, about 3.8GB of my RAM is utilised.
Haven't tested Aperture on any PPC DP G5's yet, but I wouldn't recommend it on a G4 or a G5 iMac, nor a Core Duo Macbook.

I also recommend that you view the tutorials that Apple has on their website for Aperture if you have never used the program before. They helped me learn the ropes and gave me a good head start.

semaja2
11th March 2008, 09:05 AM
Dont even try things such as RAW on a laptop like the MBP 2.2 stock, with a 5400rpm hdd i have found aperture to be dog slow once you start building a collection of RAW images

Lutze
11th March 2008, 09:05 AM
I'm using Aperture2 on my Macbook C2D 2ghz fine, it's a bit slow when doing heavy duty alterations.

yinyang
11th March 2008, 09:10 AM
i'm using Aperture 2 on my G4 1.67 GHz Powerbook, and whilst it's slow, it's still usable!

but to the OP, what exactly did you want to do to the images that iPhoto won't do - Aperture is NOT a Photoshop replacement, but it can reduce your reliance on Photoshop for simpler adjustments.

definitely play with the trial version to see if it's what you're expecting

mac_man_luke
11th March 2008, 09:31 AM
i use aperture 2 on my 2Ghz MacBook with 2GB ram and a 250GB 5400RPM HD

It works perfectly well, sometimes it can get a little slow but it very usable

far better than 1.5 was (i was about to give up and by a new mac under 1.5)

jeremy_warnock
11th March 2008, 09:33 AM
I have no problems at all with aperture on my core dou macbook with 2gigs of ram. I shoot raw on the d300 the files are roughly the 18 to 20megs each and aperture 2 on my little macbook has no problems.

Now I sure its faster on a mbp or imac and yes more will help but my maximum is 2 gigs and it runs very well - it runs well enough for me to run a part time wedding photography business till the business can buy me something larger thats for sure

Tassiecelt
11th March 2008, 09:50 AM
I use aperture with my nikon d300 and d70. Why dont you download the trail and give it a whirl.

theres a good thread hear on the aperture 2 update

http://forums.mactalk.com.au/13/44468-aperture-2-0-a.html

downloading now, thanks for the advice all.

Tassiecelt
11th March 2008, 02:37 PM
OK, I installed the trial and yes I like it, easy to use and very intuitive. But with the cost of it, I'm wondering if it really does that much more than iPhoto?

I'm sure there's a lot more to discover though.

mac_man_luke
11th March 2008, 02:40 PM
it is far more powerful than iphoto

especially if you shoot raw, you will get far better results

many more options, easy to open an image in photoshop, easy to manage library
easy to backup

zmit
12th March 2008, 12:34 PM
i use aperture 2 on my 2Ghz MacBook with 2GB ram and a 250GB 5400RPM HD

It works perfectly well, sometimes it can get a little slow but it very usable

far better than 1.5 was (i was about to give up and by a new mac under 1.5)

i am exactly the same as mac_man_luke
i have a 2.16ghz C2D macbook. 1.5 was pathetic, but 2 is much much better.

snark
12th March 2008, 12:51 PM
OK, I installed the trial and yes I like it, easy to use and very intuitive. But with the cost of it, I'm wondering if it really does that much more than iPhoto?

If you are not in a desperate hurry, Adobe will be releasing a new version (6) of Photoshop Elements sometime in March, for $125 - which is less than half of what Aperture 2 costs ($268). It might have all the features you need.

Lutze
12th March 2008, 12:53 PM

There is an awful lot to discover in Aperture2 - see the online tutorial here (http://www.apple.com/aperture/tutorials/)

Tassiecelt
12th March 2008, 07:04 PM
If you are not in a desperate hurry, Adobe will be releasing a new version (6) of Photoshop Elements sometime in March, for $125 - which is less than half of what Aperture 2 costs ($268). It might have all the features you need.

Thanks, good thought, tho' I must confess I am attracted to Aperture being an Apple product, it works well. Sure, there's probably heaps it will do that I will never use.