PDA

View Full Version : HFS Corruption from MacDrive in XP...?

jrad
10th March 2008, 10:18 PM
G'day Mactalkers.

Ok, before I start, no... I didn't do it. But now I've been dragged into it. My silly mate decided using XP on his Mac was such a brilliant idea... he hardly uses OSX, just windows really... but he leaves his HFS+ file system there to access files and uses MacDrive to do it, and it works great... until now :p

In the middle of or AOE game he noticed he was unable to save the game and was getting funny errors. So after he quit the game I sent over the save file to him and kept getting CRC errors. To cut the story short, the HFS petition is buggered and we can't fix it. We tried repairing the petition though the Leopard installation disc and he was unable to repair the volume, and now unable to boot from it. He can't access his files now though MacDrive either. He gets a message saying "Disk structure is corrupted and unreadable"

So, does anyone have a suggestion on how the data could be restored, and if not will he need to format windows too to reinstall OSX? I think he'll have to because the file system needs restoring, so the whole volume needs to be formatted, therefore removing the boot camp petition, correct?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks :)

Keving
10th March 2008, 10:22 PM
Hmm, i've been using the same program for reading mac data on XP... but i hardly use windows, hopefully not a common problem.

mac_man_luke
10th March 2008, 11:00 PM
try disk warrior, its pretty good at recovering partitions

geektechnu
10th March 2008, 11:05 PM
Maybe a fresh format would be best anyway?

The ideal partition setup would be:
- OS X (HFS)
- XP (FAT32)

Unless your friends has a specific needs for NTFS (4GB+ files for instance).

MacFUSE + NTFS3G seems pretty stable for accessing NTFS drives from OS X.

Alternatively a 3rd partition could be setup for sharing data. This would ensure both of the OS partitions are kept safe (or relatively safer at least). Though a 3 partition setup needs to be manually done (not possible via the Bootcamp Utility).

Or, even better, keep all shared data on an external drive.

Brains
11th March 2008, 12:01 AM
Report the problem to MediaFour. If MacDrive is causing problems they will definitely want to know about it so they can fix it.

Myself, I've never had problems using MacDrive - i consider it an essential for any Windows user.

choy
11th March 2008, 12:30 AM
try diskwarrior. a sensible option to recover.

Brains
11th March 2008, 12:39 AM
DiskWarrior isn't a recovery tool, it is a directory-structure maintenance tool -- if the directory is too far gone, he will have to buy Data Rescue II and retrieve his data the hard way.

mac_man_luke
11th March 2008, 07:18 AM
Id hardly call disk warrior a directory maintenance tool,

it has recovered many trashed directories for me

Brains
11th March 2008, 03:36 PM
That's exactly what it is -- DiskWarrior makes no attempt to recover actual data, beyond its 'failsafe' mode if the directory is too far gone, allowing the user to attempt a normal copy of data from a locked version of the rebuilt directory to another volume.

Data Rescue II actually scours the disk for data.