PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro Power lead with Macbook?

soadaholic
10th March 2008, 09:42 PM
hey guys,

My gf just bought a Macbook and I was wondering if I can use her power lead on my MBP and vice versa?

I assume they are the same Voltage and such but they are different sizes.

Anyone use both?

-Chris

decryption
10th March 2008, 09:44 PM
The lead is the exact same (if you're enquiring about the cable that goes from the power brick to the power socket).

soadaholic
10th March 2008, 09:59 PM
The lead is the exact same (if you're enquiring about the cable that goes from the power brick to the power socket).

I actually mean the whole thing. Basically if we have one power lead connected to an outlet, can both share it? Really CBF'd changing the cable all the time..

decryption
10th March 2008, 10:16 PM
The 85W one is fine on the MacBook, but the 65W one on the MacBook Pro might take a while.

Why don't you invest in a powerboard and have them both plugged in at once? :p

zmit
10th March 2008, 10:18 PM
there was a topic on this before hand....

the MBP power adaptor is 85W and the MB one is 65W

the consensus was that it may not be good for it. some people have successfully charged a macbook again and again off a MBP lead, others say that it can reduce the battery life pretty quickly even after 2 or 3 charges.

edit: kinda beaten by decryption :P

soadaholic
10th March 2008, 10:25 PM
The 85W one is fine on the MacBook, but the 65W one on the MacBook Pro might take a while.

Why don't you invest in a powerboard and have them both plugged in at once? :p

Haha, Its more that I cant be stuff unplugging it to take with me so would be good to have one constantly plugged in..

But yeah looks like I'll just have to use them separately.

mab
10th March 2008, 10:29 PM
I got a frantic call from a friend of mine on the weekend saying that his MacBook Pro wouldn't start.
Half an hour later he rang to say everything was OK. Turns out he had been changing his MBP with his wife's MB power supply and even though the light was green it wouldn't start. Plugged in the MBP power supply and all was well.

iPirate
11th March 2008, 03:05 PM
I believe a MBP Charger will charge and power both, but a MB charger will only be of use to a MB.