PDA

View Full Version : What network share does Leopard support?

Sunnz
10th March 2008, 03:29 PM
I want to set up a network share thing on my desktop (running Unix) that where I can put large files on it and let my Mac/Linux laptop access it.

So I am wondering what network share does OS X supports?

SMB seem to be weird for an environment without M$ systems.

NFS... I tried it before but it is kind of weird with the permission thing... I had to kept changing permissions whenever I switch between Linux and OS X, maybe I am not using it right?

SSH-FS over FUSE/MacFUSE - this is the only one that works flawlessly, you just get whatever access your SSH account has, very simple... but the overhead is very high double encrypting every packet over the air.

WebDAV - haven't tried it yet... doesn't seem appropriate for what I do? Like I don't need Web access to my share at home.

So I am confused, what should I use for setting up a simple home network share?

jeremy_warnock
10th March 2008, 03:35 PM
samba is simple quick and easy

Linux_insidev2
10th March 2008, 03:36 PM
install an AFP Daemon on the server

Currawong
10th March 2008, 04:03 PM
What's your server running? For Debian/Ubuntu:

sudo apt-get install netatalk

That'll give you Appletalk networking. For FreeBSD I'm not sure what the command would be.

NFS is tricky the first time you set it up, afterwards is easy.

forgie
10th March 2008, 05:24 PM
Expandrive (http://www.magnetk.com/expandrive) is an app that lets you mount SFTP shares as native OSX Volumes. It seems to work pretty well. I managed to make it crash the Finder last night by starting a transfer between two computers that were both connected to the network in two ways (ethernet and wifi). When I saw that the transfer speeds were slow, I turned off the Airport on both macs, and bad things happened. Most setups do similarly bad things when you have multiple IP addresses for the same computer, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Sunnz
10th March 2008, 10:59 PM
Yes when I tried SMB in the past, it is indeed a breeze to set up. But as I said this is an environment where I have no concern for M$ compatibility, so I want to know what other options are there that are Mac and Unix friendly that may do what I can with SMB.

What's your server running? For Debian/Ubuntu:

sudo apt-get install netatalk

That'll give you Appletalk networking. For FreeBSD I'm not sure what the command would be.

I am running OpenBSD. Don't worry I know how to get AFP on it... but do you know what are the advantage of AFP over NFS/SMB? Can it like... authenticate users? If so how does it do so... username password?

NFS is tricky the first time you set it up, afterwards is easy.

I got it set up in the past to the point where it works... I just don't know how it actually works though... like it authenticate users by IP address, which seems very weird to me... so I guess my question is, how is it supposed to be used?