PDA

View Full Version : Undercover by Orbicule

jubilantjeremy
10th March 2008, 02:01 AM
There's two threads about nicked macs in the sidebar at the moment; i'm getting a bit freaked out! When I first got my black macbook I looked at Undercover by Orbicule (http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/) - but I think it was in beta or not quite polished.

I just had a look again (and read all the web/blog comments I could find) and it seems quite ideal - I'd love to get my hands on it. The student price is OK too.

Thought I'd check in here before I buy, though, and see if anyone has any useful input. I'm particularly interested in actual Australian recovery stories - I think I'll email Orbicule and ask them (I'll let you know how that goes!)

I also downloaded TheftSensor by Orbicule, which seems cool (it's like iAlertU) but doesn't have any kind of preferences - pausing/unpausing iTunes sets it off! Thank the gods for SizzlingKeys..

I'm planning to set an OF password tonight too, and also enable a guest account with no password (to encourage a thief not to just format my HD)

I'm also really interested in some kind of script that could use the iSight to take a photo and email or upload it to a server or google gallery or something. Maybe that runs at login or after waking up or when the external IP changes..?

Oh and yep - I do have a data backup :)

Thanks guys,

Jeremy

jubilantjeremy
10th March 2008, 12:00 PM
bumperino

Dante Kyar
10th March 2008, 12:13 PM
yeah I was thinking of getting it too. Looks pretty good.

Jazarus
10th March 2008, 12:16 PM
yeah definitely worth investing in this product if you have a MBP or Mac Book Air SSD

marc
10th March 2008, 12:58 PM
I've only ever read positive comments about it. Seems like a worthwhile investment.

jubilantjeremy
10th March 2008, 02:26 PM
Any australian case scenarios?

Domenic
10th March 2008, 03:00 PM
There's a really good story on what happened when a guy's laptop got stolen whilst he was on holiday - he talks about Undercover. From the looks of it, it seems like a great little application to have! Sorry in advance though - it's not Australian, but still an interesting read.

The Life of I: The Karma of the Irish (http://dean.katsiris.com/2007/10/karma-of-irish.php)

jubilantjeremy
10th March 2008, 03:17 PM
There's a really good story on what happened when a guy's laptop got stolen whilst he was on holiday - he talks about Undercover. From the looks of it, it seems like a great little application to have! Sorry in advance though - it's not Australian, but still an interesting read.

The Life of I: The Karma of the Irish (http://dean.katsiris.com/2007/10/karma-of-irish.php)

Hooray! What a cool story!

Jeremy

Brains
10th March 2008, 06:56 PM
Interesting story, a pity the dude got lumbered with having to deal with the Queensland PD, long known to be one of the slackest forces in the country.

Dante Kyar
23rd March 2008, 11:05 AM
I just installed this software last night on my MBA. Bought a family pack for the other laptops we have.

The only problem i have with it is that it has seemed to have slowed down my computer. I'm not 100% sure about this though. Any way i can check?

I still have 12gb free, although have deleted a large number of files and not securely, so im guessing the HDD would still have data on it that is just marked to be overwritten.

Anyone got any ideas?

El Guardo
23rd March 2008, 11:28 AM
<- Has it installed on the MBP and iMac.

Dante Kyar
23rd March 2008, 12:50 PM
In response to my last post regarding slowness of my mac, it turns out some others are suffering the same problem. Seems to be caused by a leopard update. Of course at the moment it seems to be a few isolated instances. Hopefully a fix comes soon.

bljpoad
23rd March 2008, 01:23 PM
In response to my last post regarding slowness of my mac, it turns out some others are suffering the same problem. Seems to be caused by a leopard update. Of course at the moment it seems to be a few isolated instances. Hopefully a fix comes soon.

Hum, I had noticed a slow down after installing undercover but hadn't put 2 and 2 together. One thing I had noticed is a directory called /Ñf`in my user Library that was created at the same time as I installed undercover, anyone else got this?
- Bez

Dante Kyar
23rd March 2008, 02:05 PM
Nope can't find it in any of my libraries.

On another speed note, try repairing permissions, shutting down for five minutes and then starting back up. Since then i have had no slow down of my laptop. Everything is working perfectly again.