PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP and BootCamp

johnmac
9th March 2008, 10:31 AM
Hello All,
Here I am again with a plea for help. I now have two Macs a 17" running Tiger 10.4.11 and I have decided I am going to leave this machine just as it is because it has worked fine from day 1 and does not have any problems.............yet??
My wife received an iMac 20" with Leopard 10.5.1, 2.4 Ghz for Christmas and is now reasonably familiar with it and wants to add Windows XP SP2 Home Edition so that she can make use of Boot Camp to be able to work with her many Windows Genealogy files.
To be able to do this we bought Windows XP Home Edition OEM and tried to install it on her new iMac but after the 3rd step ran into trouble when the screen went black and a message appeared saying " Press any key??? Disk error Press any key to eject"
That advice did not work and holding down the Power Button at the rear and holding down the Disk Eject Key till the disc ejected fixed that part of the problem and I was then able to turn off the power and eventually start the computer again. We rang Apple support and they said we had " the wrong version of Windows XP. The OEM version cannot be used." Next Byte, when I explained the problem; disagreed with Apple Support saying that OEM was the version they recommended, so we are totally confused and hope that someone out there is able to tell me, which do I install Windows XP OEM or just plain Windows XP SP2 Home Edition ?

We have a Hewlett Packard PC running Windows XP SP2 Home which holds all the Genealogy files and these we want to put on her new iMac, thank you for reading this and I hope to hear from someone,

Johnmac

ford.boy
9th March 2008, 10:38 AM
As far as I know, the XP install must be SP2.

Is the disk your using SP2?

The Architect.mac
9th March 2008, 10:39 AM
OEM is fine as long it in itself is SP2...

dev_enter
9th March 2008, 10:48 AM
If it's not SP2, it can be turned into an SP2 disc via a process called Slipstreaming. See http://forums.mactalk.com.au/13/45557-what-slipstreaming.html

Brains
9th March 2008, 12:16 PM
Slipstreaming requires a working Windows machine, and isn't a job for the technically challenged (if they were geeks, they wouldn't buy a Mac, would they :p).

The disk error could be exactly that -- there is a fault with your Windows installer media, or some small alignment problem with the optical drive in the iMac. As the guys above have said, as long as the disk you bought is Windows XP SP2 (ie, XP with Service Pack 2 already "built in" to the installer) then any flavour of XP should work.

Seeing you bought an OEM pack, you have your unique product registration code -- you could ask one of your Windows-using friends ifyou could borrow their Windows XP SP2 installer and try that, as your own product registration code will be used to validate the install.

johnmac
9th March 2008, 02:30 PM
Thank you for your replies, much appreciated.

The Windows XP that was bought was:

Windows XP Home Edition SP2 OEM and this was the application we tried to load onto my iMac 20" Leopard 10.5.1 and got as far as Step 3 when it would not go any further.

It seems from your replies that we have the correct version of Windows XP Home with OEM and SP2 included on the disc and I guess we should try it again but could we have some of the first effort to get it on the machine still there ? How do I check that the machine is clear and clean of the first effort to load the programme?
Also, when I clicked on the Applications folder and looked at the Boot Camp icon I got a message saying "The Alias Boot Camp could not be opened because the original item cannot be found"
there are 3 buttons below this message reading:
1) Delete Alias, 2) Fix Alias, 3) OK.

Looking forward to your further input,

john_dora

LCGuy
11th March 2008, 08:20 PM
One thing I've discovered, is to make sure you format the partition as NTFS, I find that on my MacBook that Windows won't boot if you have it on a FAT32 partition.

meinrosebud
11th March 2008, 08:27 PM
I am running Windows XP SP2 in Vmware Fusion in which I run Microsoft Office 2003 for work, it is the best way to use the beast for a short while without having to muck around with partition formats. It runs fast enough on my Mac mini 1.83G that boot camp has never been run.

MacNut
11th March 2008, 09:32 PM
"There are two types of OEM when it comes to operating systems. The first is when a pre-built computer is purchased, there is a OEM disk that comes with the system, which can not be transfered to any other system. For that disk is designed to run only with the specific system components. The second type of OEM Operating system is one that can be purchased, and installed on any system, and that can be transfered to any other system, without the dependence on the systems components. The main difference between the two is that one is only meant for that specific system, and the other can be used on any system."

You may have been sold one of the former,

The other option is to uninstall bootcamp, then reinstall it

Hope this helped :rolleyes:

en.elle
11th March 2008, 10:40 PM
I have a feeling it as nothing to do with the OEM thing. Sounds like you have XP SP2 which is all that is needed.

By the sounds of the problem, it is to do with your hard drive partition. At the blue screen (windows install) select the correct partition *should* be Partition C. then

I chose FAT as my partition formatting option.

After that make sure you choose "format the partition using the FAT file system".. ie not quick format.

Give that a go :thumbup:

johnmac
12th March 2008, 10:07 AM
Thank you all for your replies I`ll take a day or so to digest them all and then report back, but before I leave I went into Next Byte here yesterday and they tell me that the OEM version is all they use, but at the same time Apple Support say that OEM cannot be used, now wonder I`m having trouble,thanks again,

john_mac

MacMac
15th March 2008, 12:07 AM
It might be an upgrade disc and not a full version of XP this will not install but there is away around this as I was able to install Vista on my 24" iMac but this was a few months ago and can not remember what I did unless there was a setting to install a demo were you could use the key to activate it.

geektechnu
15th March 2008, 06:52 AM
A lot of people at MacNN have reported that formatting the disk as NTFS solved the issue for them.

Geoff3DMN
15th March 2008, 06:59 AM
but at the same time Apple Support say that OEM cannot be used

It may be that Apple support are saying that because OEM licenses are supposed to be sold with computers, not purchased and installed onto other computers and they are really meaning "should not be used for licensing reasons" rather than "can not".

kyte
15th March 2008, 07:25 AM
It may be that Apple support are saying that because OEM licenses are supposed to be sold with computers, not purchased and installed onto other computers and they are really meaning "should not be used for licensing reasons" rather than "can not".

Absolutely correct. I have installed an OEM version belonging to a Dell computer... no issues at all.

I've uninstalled it now because, well, it was an exercise to see if it could be done, with so many saying it couldnt (and I am stubborn). I have no desire to run Windows at all, anymore.

foot bridge
14th December 2008, 11:05 AM
I'm having a similar problem installing Windows under bootcamp. I run OS X 10.5.5, and recently bought an OEM version of Windows XP Professional with SP2.

I suspect my problem is the Windows FAT32 formatting.

During Windows installation, I select the partition to install, and I'm not given the option to format as NTFS. The installer goes straight on to instaling files.

Any advice? Anyone else have this problem? Am I doing something *so* stupid that there's any easy fix?

LCGuy
17th December 2008, 09:35 AM
Boot Camp should allow you to set up a Windows partition when you run the Boot Camp Assistant, in which it allows you to format as NTFS.

stevejay
17th December 2008, 10:08 AM
(if they were geeks, they wouldn't buy a Mac, would they :p).

Dunno, sometimes the biggest pacifists are veterans of war.

zigzagler
17th December 2008, 10:35 AM
Anyone tried installing XP SP3 via boot camp so far?
Based on this (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1888) website, I have to upgarde to BootCamp v2.1 prior to installing XP SP3. However, the part I don't understand is where it says "Note: To upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP (32 bit version only) Service Pack 3 you need to first install the Boot Camp 2.1 Update or later, and Service Pack 2."

Will it be any problem if my XP is already SP3 (full version)?

foot bridge
17th December 2008, 02:06 PM
Boot Camp should allow you to set up a Windows partition when you run the Boot Camp Assistant, in which it allows you to format as NTFS.

My understanding was that the option to format as NTFS should be given by the Windows Installer (with the white dos-style text of blue background). This just doesn't occur. I'm doing it all by the letter of the Boot Camp manual. Just once I select which partition to use, it goes straight ahead installing files on a FAT32 partition, rather than allowing me to format as NTFS.

Are you suggesting that I choose NTFS when I set up the partition in Boot Camp (ie while still in the Mac user interface???) I hope so.

Am tearing my hair out here!!! :mad::confused:
thanks for any and all advice though.

17th December 2008, 03:17 PM
Anyone tried installing XP SP3 via boot camp so far?
Based on this (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1888) website, I have to upgarde to BootCamp v2.1 prior to installing XP SP3. However, the part I don't understand is where it says "Note: To upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP (32 bit version only) Service Pack 3 you need to first install the Boot Camp 2.1 Update or later, and Service Pack 2."

Will it be any problem if my XP is already SP3 (full version)?I installed XP SP2 via disk, then the upgrade to SP 3 from the Microsoft website. It seems to work ok.

~Coxy
17th December 2008, 03:51 PM
If the Microsoft disk partitioner doesn't come up at all with your disc, you could always install NTFS-3G on the Mac side which will allow you to format your Boot Camp partition as NTFS. If you don't want to faff around with installing it, you can also boot of a GParted LiveCD to do the formatting but it's probably just as much effort.

zigzagler
31st December 2008, 09:46 AM
does anyone know how to change the name of the bootcamp partition? or do i need to reformat it in order to change the label?

Cheers!

dawsman
31st December 2008, 10:29 AM
does anyone know how to change the name of the bootcamp partition? or do i need to reformat it in order to change the label?

Cheers!

You have to rename the drive in Windows (i.e. in Bootcamp with Windows booted natively). Just go into My Computer or explorer and rename "Local Disk" to whatever you want. This will then carry over to OS X.

Regarding the original issue brought up in this thread, the Bootcamp partition absolutely MUST be reformatted during Windows setup. I recommend choosing the NTFS option, and DON'T DO A QUICK FORMAT - it won't work. If you're not given the option to reformat your Bootcamp partition, that is very unusual. I've never installed XP Home (only Professional) so I'm not sure if it's an issue with that version.

Actually, if memory serves, my first XP computer came with the "Home" version installed, and for some reason my hard drive was formatted as FAT32. I had to convert it to NTFS which you can do within the XP operating system. That won't help you if you can't get it installed in the first place, but it suggests that XP Home might install on a FAT32 partition by default and then requires conversion to NTFS (if desired) afterwards. Just a thought...