PDA

View Full Version : Common Vista software issues?

Oli-G
9th March 2008, 09:31 AM
Hi all,

We've just put Vista on a brand spanker MacBook 2.4 via bootcamp, added all the extra drivers via the Leopard DVD post-install, and it's working, net connectivity, etc.

We've installed "Cashflow Manager 7.0" software, cited as being Vista compatible, etc (the only reason we had to bother getting Vista, actually).

The error we're getting is "Cashflow Manager has stopped working, Windows is checking for a solution to the problem" etc, and it closes down.

I'm not sure if we'll have any luck going through the software support, so I'm first wondering if there's any common Vista issues, patches etc that prevents some kinds of software from working, or whether Bootcamp has any influence on these?

WIll probably get XP as a LAST resort...

Cheers

themessup
9th March 2008, 09:34 AM
I know this doesn't help but thats windows for ya! What do you want the software for?

Oli-G
9th March 2008, 09:39 AM
Haha, amen bro! My other half needs it for some new dealings, and can't use any other software unfortunately.

snark
9th March 2008, 09:39 AM
...WIll probably get XP as a LAST resort...

XP is a much more mature product than Vista - pretty much any Windows software published in the past 5 years will run on XP, whereas they are still many problems with Vista.
I would choose XP over Vista any day of the week.

Oli-G
9th March 2008, 09:42 AM
XP is a much more mature product than Vista - pretty much any Windows software published in the past 5 years will run on XP, whereas they are still many problems with Vista.
I would choose XP over Vista any day of the week.

Totally agree.

But for tax and ease of purchase purposes at the time, we had to go with Vista (that, and we had confirmation that it all works fine).

But I need to ascertain here, whether the problem has anything to do with any minor differences in the apple hardware/config.

It should otherwise work fine on Vista, I doubt they'd cite it on the packaging only for it to close on everyone straight away.

ford.boy
9th March 2008, 09:47 AM
I'd screw around with the compatibility setting and also running the program as an administrator.

Another thing to try is running the program from the exe, not the shortcut in the start menu - for some reason I have to do that with a program I run, even if I create my own shortcut.

Other than that, use XP. Vista is still like OS X.1 at times, minus the clean start and elegance :P

snark
9th March 2008, 10:02 AM
As ford.boy suggests, do you know if you are running Vista as an administrator, or as a lowly user?

There is a link on the CashFlow Manager support page that suggests a problem if you haven't installed it as an admin.
Click here to view a video on Cashflow Manager and Vista (http://www.cashflow-manager.com/australia/videos/Cashflow7%20on%20Vista/Cashflow7%20on%20Vista.html)

There is also an update to 7.1.01

feeze
9th March 2008, 10:07 AM
Have you had a look at this pdf on the cashflow web site; http://www.cashflow-manager.com/australia/videos/Cashflow7%20on%20Vista/Running_CFM7_on_Vista.pdf

There is also a video;Copyright Cashflow Manager 2007 (http://www.cashflow-manager.com/australia/videos/Cashflow7%20on%20Vista/Cashflow7%20on%20Vista.html)

But to answer your question, hardware wise your Mac is no different from any other PC. So any troubles your having would be software related. Make sure you have the latest updates of Vista and Cashflow manager.

EDIT: Ha people beat me too it, serves me right for watching the video :P

Oli-G
9th March 2008, 11:12 AM
Thanks a million guys - coupled with an update, the above fix worked A1... much appreciated!

Cheers