PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed, especially input from ibook users

oddturtle
8th March 2008, 10:27 PM
So I have been using a 12" powerbook for a year now for uni and love it, however two things have really been bugging me. Firstly, the really important one has been the amount of heat generated from this thing after barely no time at all. It is really uncomfortable to have on my lap, or even when I'm typing on a table my hands its really bad, I feel its really too difficult to use comfortably.

Secondly, I've been considering getting something with a little bit more screen real estate, but its not really a huge issue.

What do you think I should do? I am thinking of flogging off my powerbook on ebay and using the money to buy either a 12" or 14" ibook. Do they give off much heat? I am really not a power user, I use office programs, web browsing, video and itunes most of the time, and use my laptop to record a weekly podcast so even something with not much grunt is fine for me. I'm not too keen on a macbook because funds are limited at the moment so I'm looking for a cost neutral option.
My mate has an ibook and has had quite a few problems with hardware stuff ups and I've always seen as them as kind of cheap and possibly unrealiable. Tell me your experiences please :)

dev_enter
8th March 2008, 10:29 PM
The iBooks have the same screen real estate as the 12" PowerBook.

I would stick with the PowerBook.

oddturtle
8th March 2008, 10:43 PM
i mean getting a 14.1" ibook, also I'm more interested in getting something not so hot.

leon
8th March 2008, 11:42 PM
A core duo Macbook is definitely within your reach at the moment. There was one in the FS forum for $500, and it was a nice machine. As for heat, I have not met a laptop that didn't get uncomfortable on my lap. I solved the problem by putting a book between the laptop and my legs.
I wouldn't recommend getting a 14.1" iBook, I would just keep the Powerbook, seems pointless to me.

oddturtle
8th March 2008, 11:54 PM
Hmmm... I personally haven't come across a laptop that heats up nearly as much as mine. I think part of it is the metal casing that is quite conducive to trapping heat (unlike the ibook which is plastic), and the fact that everything is crammed into such a tiny unit. I don't want to sound whiny like I can't take a bit of heat but really I think its quite a big issue. I also use a book but that doesn't do anything for my hands resting just below the keyboard - especially the left side where the battery is. I reckon my housemate's compaq presario gives off about a quarter of the heat as my powerbook.

leon
8th March 2008, 11:59 PM
I don't have these issues with my 17", but I guess being larger is can probably dissipate the heat far more efficiently. What does iStat say about your temperatures. I haven't come across an Apple laptop that has been uncomfortable to touch on the top side before.
In terms of heat, I have find that once my Macbook gets warm, plastic or not, it is hot. A colleagues 12" iBook is the same, so I don't think that getting a plastic laptop will immediately solve your problem. Possibly you could have an issue with your 12" Powerbook.

Brains
8th March 2008, 11:59 PM
Get a Pismo, they never heat up :)

gaehl
9th March 2008, 10:35 AM
i mean getting a 14.1" ibook, also I'm more interested in getting something not so hot.

Note: the 14" iBook has the same res 1024x768 as the 12" iBook and you Powerbook so you just get bigger pixels not more screen space.

geektechnu
9th March 2008, 10:47 AM
When I first got my MacBook I found it to be less hot than my old G3 iBook.

My iBook (and I assume many PowerBooks) would get quite warm at the bottom towards the front. The palmrests would also get very hot. I'm guessing a lot of it was HDD & battery heat.

With MacBooks a lot of the heat seems to make it out the vent at the back. Still too warm for long-term lap use, but absolutely fine for table typing. The palmrest does not get noticably warm at all.

Mutters
9th March 2008, 11:00 AM
Oddturtle - open Activity Monitor to see if there's something unusual running and generating that heat.

BTW, underneath your left hand is the HD, not battery, and the CPU is under the left side keyboard.
Warm areas-yes.

mutters

bennettnz
9th March 2008, 11:44 AM
My old G3 iBook used to get very hot as well as having one of those creaky hinges - still think of it as one of the best macs I've ever owned. I don't know if the new mac books get as hot - I wouldn't think it would be worse as supposedly the new chips run cooler.