PDA

View Full Version : New MacBook creaking hinge

Huy
6th March 2008, 06:18 PM
Hi guys,

I have just received a new (well, refurbished) MacBook (black) 13-inch.

The problem is, after waiting hours for the charger to finish it's job (I am paranoid so I wait until it charges completely/green light before I boot it up), the hinge makes a creaking noise when you open it.

I've tried looking for possible reasons as to what is causing it, e.g. deformities or cracks/bulges or improperly screwed in screws but cannot find anything.

Is Apple able to do anything about this refurbished machine? It's not DOA? Should I live with the 'problem' (machine works fine, it's the hinge/lid that makes this "cracking" sound when you open it, a bit like a mouse click - it is definitely not normal/expected.

What should I do? Take it to a repair/service centre so they can have a look at it (replace part?). It is about 10 hours old and was purchased from Apple online.

Thanks,
Huy

leon
6th March 2008, 07:35 PM
Of the 2 people that I know with Blackbooks, both of theirs makes a creaking sound from the hinge. My white one does not do this. Maybe the black finish makes each panel just that little bit thicker and increases friction/resistance on the parts involved.

adamd
6th March 2008, 07:43 PM
Mine has a slight creek. It's a MB-White :)

MrJesseRoss
6th March 2008, 07:49 PM
My Blacbook doesn't creak (not yet, anyway).

Huy
6th March 2008, 07:49 PM
I've owned an original Core Duo MacBook (white) from 2006 and it did not creak at all.

This is my first (ever) black MacBook (Core 2 Duo) that I got this morning.

I guess I'll just live with it and ask about it, when (if) it requires repair/servicing on other parts at a future time.

p53
6th March 2008, 09:53 PM
Hi guys,

I have just received a new (well, refurbished) MacBook (black) 13-inch.

So it was you who bought it! I had my eye on that one too

phoenixonline
6th March 2008, 10:02 PM
A service centre should be able to fix the issue by applying a little white grease to the internal hinge mechanism, however at the end of the day can you bear to be without it for a few days now that you have got it.

Its one of those things that at the end of the day you would get fixed if it was going in for a more serious repair, but would just put up with until that time.

Huy
6th March 2008, 10:31 PM
So it was you who bought it! I had my eye on that one too

There was another one right after. And I believe it is still there!

A service centre should be able to fix the issue by applying a little white grease to the internal hinge mechanism, however at the end of the day can you bear to be without it for a few days now that you have got it.

Its one of those things that at the end of the day you would get fixed if it was going in for a more serious repair, but would just put up with until that time.

Thank you very much phoenixonline! :)

I have heard that it is rather common in these black models because of the material that it is made from. Searching Apple online discussions has come up with a few similar cases (exact creaking/cracking sort of noise) as in my case.

I can bear to be without it, as I have another Mac (iMac) at home as my main desktop machine. Though I'll probably send it in sometime during my uni holidays.

Cheers and thanks!

Jazarus
6th March 2008, 10:33 PM
Do not open your Macbook again and send it straight for repairs, this is the type of thing that seems like a small thing but believe me if you leave this happening and keep opening and closing your macbook it will escalate to the point where the whole back panel has to be replaced. Qualified Mac repair technicians know this problem well and can remedy it quickly as phoenixonline says by adding a little grease.

Huy
6th March 2008, 10:34 PM
@Jazarus.

Thank you. I was worried about that. I actually opened/closed it a few times just to see where the noise was coming from. I'll stop doing that now!

*back to my iMac*

I think I even managed to wake the machine out of sleep, just by opening the hinge (it was already on sleep with the lid open).