PDA

View Full Version : Want only one user after using migration assistant.

deco20
6th March 2008, 05:22 PM
hi guys,
I have recently purchased a new macbook and have upgraded from my old emac using migration assistant.
I used to have 3 user accounts on my emac and now I only want my main user details to be on my macbook.
I think my mistake was I didn't use migration assistant straight away and created a new admin user account on my macbook ( wanted to have a play). How do I only get my main user account on my new mac as I now have four user accounts on it.
Should I restore my new macbook and use migration assistant again or is there someway of deleting the other 3 accounts fully off my Macbook (including the new admin).

thanks
deco20:confused:

tintinaujapon
6th March 2008, 05:55 PM
If I understand you correctly deco20, you had 3 accounts on your old machine but now you want to transfer only one of them to your new machine. I would do it this way.

1. Make sure you have the same user account name on your new and old machines for the account from the old one you want to keep.

2. Log into the new machine under *another* account and use MA. It will recognise that there's an identical user name on the old and new machines and ask you if you want to bring that account over to the new machine.

3. Once you've done that, and checked it, you can delete the unnecessary accounts on the new machine.

deco20
6th March 2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks tin,
So I will have to restore my new macbook and have the same user name when I use migration assistant.
will try that now
cheers

deco20
7th March 2008, 06:44 AM
I restored my macbook and did a fresh install. On start up I used migration assistant and had the option to delete the other user profiles. All went smoothy.
Thanks Tin