PDA

View Full Version : IE8 to behave like a real browser by default

marc
6th March 2008, 08:03 AM
We’ve decided that IE8 will, by default, interpret web content in the most standards compliant way it can. This decision is a change from what we’ve posted previously.
IEBlog : Microsoft's Interoperability Principles and IE8 (http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/03/03/microsoft-s-interoperability-principles-and-ie8.aspx)

This is quite big news for web developers and the internet as a whole... The release of IE8 marks Microsoft's first proper attempt to behave like real internet browsers and will break sites built specifically for IE6 (those sites can add a single line to their header to get the IE6 engine back). The previously announced behaviour was the exact opposite... IE8 was to act like IE6 unless a meta tag existed.

Brilliant!

By the end of 2009, IE6 should be pretty much gone. Let's all celebrate by making some transparent PNGs!

tempestas
6th March 2008, 08:09 AM
IEBlog : Microsoft's Interoperability Principles and IE8 (http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/03/03/microsoft-s-interoperability-principles-and-ie8.aspx)

By the end of 2009, IE6 should be pretty much gone. Let's all celebrate by making some transparent PNGs!

You IE6 hating bastard :D

Hang on M$ is following an open standard. How will this fit into the three E's. Unless this is just a new game of embrace.

marc
6th March 2008, 08:12 AM
You IE6 hating bastard :D
Guilty as charged.

Hang on M$ is following an open standard. How will this fit into the three E's. Unless this is just a new game of embrace.
I don't think they have much of a choice here. I know "official" stats from the web seem higher, but the stats on sites I'm close to lead me to believe that IE7 only has about 34% of the market and IE6 about 8%. If IE8 is really standards compliant, then they will probably sway a lot of casual Firefox users back. Smart move.

Brains
6th March 2008, 09:15 AM
So? Unless IE8 is available for MacOS X, it's worthless, and the 'interoperability' crap is Windows-centric.

On top of that, permitting the continued existence of the IE6 engine specifics is just as stupid. If they want IE8 to be considered serious, it should be a) a totally clean break from the previous IE stuff, 2) abandon ActiveX, and 3) be cross-platform.

Hell, if Apple can make Safari available for Windows, how hard is it, Mr Ballmer, to provide IE for MacOS, and do it so that it is 100% feature-for-feature compatible with its Windows sibling?

decryption
6th March 2008, 09:28 AM
So? Unless IE8 is available for MacOS X, it's worthless, and the 'interoperability' crap is Windows-centric.

On top of that, permitting the continued existence of the IE6 engine specifics is just as stupid. If they want IE8 to be considered serious, it should be a) a totally clean break from the previous IE stuff, 2) abandon ActiveX, and 3) be cross-platform.

Hell, if Apple can make Safari available for Windows, how hard is it, Mr Ballmer, to provide IE for MacOS, and do it so that it is 100% feature-for-feature compatible with its Windows sibling?

If the website and the browser adhere to a set of standards, it shouldn't matter what platform or browser is in use, as the standards are the same.

marc
6th March 2008, 02:24 PM
If the website and the browser adhere to a set of standards, it shouldn't matter what platform or browser is in use, as the standards are the same.
+1

That's kinda the point.

I don't think Microsoft need to release IE8 for OS X or Linux at all (both platforms have loads of choice anyway... can you really see OS X and Linux users switching to IE8?).

nard
6th March 2008, 03:03 PM
I don't think Microsoft need to release IE8 for OS X or Linux at all (both platforms have loads of choice anyway... can you really see OS X and Linux users switching to IE8?).

Only as the result of a drunken dare.