PDA

View Full Version : ibook airport card

adriaaan
5th March 2008, 11:34 PM
Hello ,

I have just installed a mac air (airport) card in my ibook 500mhz. I am running 10.1.5 on the ibook. It seems to be running fine and recognizing my wireless network. However when it asks for the password for the network and i type it in , i get the message that i have typed in the wrong password. I know i have typed in the right password. My mac mini works on the same network but is running 10.5. Is this an os system problem. Is 10.1.5 to old? The card is from a Japanese ibook.

Thanks
Martin

timothy
5th March 2008, 11:41 PM
10.1.5 seems very old, update the system via combo update...

are you sure it is 10.1.5 ?

upgrade the ram to 1GB and buy leopard...

with leopard you could have 10.5.2 ?

adriaaan
5th March 2008, 11:44 PM
Yes it's definitely 10.1.5 i am looking to upgrade to Tiger. Thats the best i can upgrade to on the Apple website. ( I think)

tintinaujapon
5th March 2008, 11:46 PM
The fact that it's a Japanese airport card won't be the cause of the problem Martin. I was also using an old 'AirMac' (I think they were labelled) card in an old dual USB iBook bought in Japan in 2000 for a long time here in Oz - no issues.

Make sure everything is up to date. Make sure you have the right security settings, type the password somewhere you can see it, then copy + paste it into the connect window and see if that helps.

MightyAtom
6th March 2008, 12:09 AM
i get the message that i have typed in the wrong password. I know i have typed in the right password.
Instead of typing in the actual password you probably need to use the hexadecimal equivalent of the password.

Depending on the type of encryption you're using it will be between 10 and 32 characters long. You don't mention what wireless router your using but if you can login to it you should be able to find the hex version of the password. On an AirPort basestation utility it's generally referred to as the network equivalent password.

adriaaan
6th March 2008, 12:55 AM
I just did some changes to the router and when i disable the security i can use the network. So must be the os being so old. I have a netgear router. When i put any passwrd on the router, the ibook says wrong password.

Thanks for the help so far.

Martin.

timothy
6th March 2008, 01:42 AM
try wired ethernet, plug and play...

then update via software update...

then all could be goodness...

i hope this helps...

GraphicUmp
6th March 2008, 04:46 AM
If your encryption is anything other than WEP, you will not be able to connect while running 10.1.5. You need 10.3.9 or later to use WPA (and you need AirPort Extreme to use WPA2).

vicmeldrew
6th March 2008, 04:47 AM
I have had this problem before, but with 10.3.

Assuming your password is saved in keychain, try restarting and letting keychain log on to your network.

adriaaan
6th March 2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks to everyone for the replies. GraphicUmp hit the nail on the head. Changed the security to WEP and now it works fine. So thanks again.

Martin

GraphicUmp
6th March 2008, 11:44 PM
Glad you got it working!

Just as an aside, 10.1.5 is pretty darn buggy - you might want to look into acquiring at least 10.2 (Jaguar) or 10.3 (Panther) to upgrade your iBook. You can get either of 'em cheap on ebay, craigslist, etc.