PDA

View Full Version : Adium Arrgghhh?!

Jaali
3rd March 2008, 10:02 PM
Heya,

I have been having issues with Adium since installing it. It doesn't seem to want to connect to my MSN account. It gets to '50% connecting to server', and then says 'Reading Error'. It could be my crap internet connection, but Skype works a treat, so I'm thinking maybe not.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

basseyy
3rd March 2008, 10:12 PM
i use adium, latest version, no issues with me, maybe un-install and then install, repair permissions??

you are sure you type the right username and password??

froggy
3rd March 2008, 10:34 PM
This is interesting to me!

On my old clamshell iBook running OSX 10.3.9, I can't get the latest version Adim. I'm limited to version 1.0.6. MSN connects fine.

On my G4 iMac running 10.5, I am running the latest version of Adium and I can't connect to MSN.

I hadn't bothered about finding a solution as I have other issues that need sorting before MSN becomes a priority!

Cheers,
Andrew

BiRDBRAiN
3rd March 2008, 10:36 PM
Its obvious.... the Church of Scientology has haxed your internets :p

lurka
3rd March 2008, 10:54 PM
sif ya dont use mercury messenger for MSN
It does everything MSN does , and even tells ya who you have on your contact list and who has deleted you off of theirs........

As well as video

LINKY (http://www.mercury.im/)

Or USE iChat.....

jrad
3rd March 2008, 11:05 PM
Its obvious.... the Church of Scientology has haxed your internets :p

This happened to me. Tom was running around my street digging up my interwebs :p [/jokes]

Hey, I have this issue at my workplace, but not at home. Adium will not connect to MSN (but everything else works) but I solved the problem by going to OpenDNS.com and using one of their DNS addresses in my advanced network settings in System Preferences. Thank you to the someone in MTAU who recommended this solution, it works a treat!

Give it a shot, you might find it fixes your problems.

Peter Wells
3rd March 2008, 11:14 PM
i mentioned the opendns solution in november.. :)

dunno if i was the first, but lets pretend i was. i rarely solve problems round here...

Currawong
3rd March 2008, 11:20 PM
i use adium, latest version, no issues with me, maybe un-install and then install, repair permissions??

you are sure you type the right username and password??

Sorry, but I have to take you to task for this useless advice, but for your ultimate benefit:

Un-installing and re-installing will not remove any preference and other files that might have settings causing the problem. From installation, programs remain unchanged, though their settings do not. Nor are program settings stored inside programs.

Repairing permissions also will make no difference, as they only affect installed system files. You might wish to learn exactly what repairing permissions does. Not to mention, what permissions are and why they don't "break".

I recommend only giving advice when you actually know what you're talking about.

Sorry if this comes across as harsh.

lurka
3rd March 2008, 11:23 PM
ya could just slap him upside the head and tell him to RTFM pertaining to permissions... lol.

Or ya could just scare everyone off from giving what they think is help, coz ya gonna slap them down for crap advice.....

MrJesseRoss
3rd March 2008, 11:54 PM
from Adium's own support pages:

MSN takes a long time to connect on Leopard because of changes in how Leopard looks up server names. For some people, this seems to mean that Adium gives up before the response arrives. Even so, I'm fairly sure that our behavior is correct; the problem is your ISP's DNS being slow or ignoring the request entirely.

These steps will help you set up OpenDNS as a fallback:

Choose System Preferences from the  menu.
Open the Network pane.
Click on the lock icon to imbue yourself with super-powers. With great power comes great responsibility, so you must first enter an administrator account's username and password to prove that you are a hero and not a villain.
Select the network interface (AirPort, Ethernet, or FireWire) that you're using to connect to the internet.
Click on Advanced.
Click on DNS.
Click the + button on the left.
Type: 208.67.222.222
Click the + button again.
Type: 208.67.220.220
Click OK.
Click Apply.
You should then be able to connect to MSN.

adam89
4th March 2008, 02:06 AM
My friend has the same problem, I know this is weird but.... ONLY WITH ACCOUNTS THAT HAVE AN UNDERSCORE IN THE USERNAME!!!

Does yours by any chance?

LarryH
4th March 2008, 06:52 AM
Heya,

I have been having issues with Adium since installing it. It doesn't seem to want to connect to my MSN account. It gets to '50% connecting to server', and then says 'Reading Error'. It could be my crap internet connection, but Skype works a treat, so I'm thinking maybe not.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Have you tried reinstalling? Even rebooting?

If you're using wifi, try rebooting the router.

froggy
4th March 2008, 09:09 AM
Have you tried reinstalling? Even rebooting?

If you're using wifi, try rebooting the router.
I've tried those. Even gave up on wifi and connected the iMac directly via ethernet. Still no go.

maj, my MSN username doesn't have an _ in it.

Silverdreamer, iChat to connect to MSN? I'd love to, but

I'll give the DNS thing a go later.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
Andrew

silverdreamer
4th March 2008, 09:31 AM
I've tried those. Even gave up on wifi and connected the iMac directly via ethernet. Still no go.

maj, my MSN username doesn't have an _ in it.

Silverdreamer, iChat to connect to MSN? I'd love to, but

I'll give the DNS thing a go later.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
Andrew

I thought you had all that sorted Andrew?

iChat to MSN Through Jabber All Forces (http://allforces.com/2005/05/06/ichat-to-msn-through-jabber/)

jrad
4th March 2008, 04:14 PM
What the hell...? I remember silverdreamer's posts were for the most part on topic and I strongly believe the mods have been too harsh deleting them this time. He made a decent point about iChat and Transport, and whilst it isn't for everyone it was still a valid suggestion. To delete his posts because he's passionate about it is absurd. Thats what we're here for right? Sharing our passion for macs?

froggy
5th March 2008, 09:59 AM
I thought you had all that sorted Andrew?

iChat to MSN Through Jabber All Forces (http://allforces.com/2005/05/06/ichat-to-msn-through-jabber/)
Thanks for that link. I'll try it sometime and let you know how I go!

I appreciate alternatives to the norm. That's why I use a Mac, and also drive the cars that I drive.

Good on ya!

Cheers,
Andrew

Wally
5th March 2008, 10:00 AM
MSN should work after the OpenDNS stuff is applied :)

silverdreamer
5th March 2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks for that link. I'll try it sometime and let you know how I go!

I appreciate alternatives to the norm. That's why I use a Mac, and also drive the cars that I drive.

Good on ya!

Cheers,
Andrew

Your welcome Andrew. If you have any trouble with it, let me know and I will help you out. It's nice to know that my Help is appreciated by some people.

And Jazzdog, thanks also for your support. I was quite offended by peoples attitudes yesterday, there are some very small people on this forum.

Disko
5th March 2008, 10:48 AM
there are some very small people on this forum.

I'm going to jump right in there and comment. Yes, i'm taking the bait.

Your posts weren't removed because of your opinion. They weren't removed because of your passion. They were removed, because of your history of making inflammatory (trolling) posts in threads that have no relevance to what you're posting about. You've been warned a heap of times before, and still continue to do it, always with a snide quip at a moderator.

I'm not the moderator who removed your posts, but I've got absolutely no issue with them doing so since I know how many times you've been warned before.

We're running a great forum here, with hundreds of fantastic people discussing a heap of interesting topics. How dare you slide in and call one of our moderators 'small' for removing your constant off-topic trolling which degrades the quality of these boards. We do this often thankless task objectively, none of it is intended to be a personal attack so stop taking it personally (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/11/36305-hi-everybody-please-read.html).

edit: my posts were removed as well - i don't give a rats about it.

If you'd like to retort to this, feel free to - in a new thread so this one isn't driven further off topic than it already is.

froggy
5th March 2008, 09:24 PM
These steps will help you set up OpenDNS as a fallback:

Choose System Preferences from the  menu.
Open the Network pane.
Click on the lock icon to imbue yourself with super-powers. With great power comes great responsibility, so you must first enter an administrator account's username and password to prove that you are a hero and not a villain.
Select the network interface (AirPort, Ethernet, or FireWire) that you're using to connect to the internet.
Click on Advanced.
Click on DNS.
Click the + button on the left.
Type: 208.67.222.222
Click the + button again.
Type: 208.67.220.220
Click OK.
Click Apply.
You should then be able to connect to MSN.

After trying to do this and finding that I didn't have Admin rights anymore, and then finding the solution to that problem here (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/13/44059-no-admin-account.html) with a link to Apple (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306876), I finally got to try the DNS solution as above. Worked a treat! I think that that's the quickest I've ever connected to MSN.

Brilliant!

Now to try silverdreamer's iChat solution. iChat is soooooo much prettier than Adium! :D

Again, thanks for all the help.

Cheers,
Andrew

MrJesseRoss
5th March 2008, 10:08 PM
Great stuff, froggy. I was just as confused when I tried setting up MSN on Adium and encountered the same error.

froggy
6th March 2008, 03:23 PM
Interesting side effect of the Open DNS changes that I've made

When I type a site name, for example, Apple, I now get taken to OpenDNS. (http://guide.opendns.com/?url=apple) Safari, on the other hand, takes me directly to apple.com

Camino used to behave the way that Safari still does.

Any ideas on how to maintain the ability to use Adium with MSN and get back to having Camino take me directly to the requested website?

(Is this in need of a new thread, now?)

Cheers,
Andrew