PDA

View Full Version : Copying hybrid discs?

ken
3rd March 2008, 07:50 PM
Hey all, just one quick query with using Toast 8.

If I want to make a backup copy of a hybrid disc that loads up different files when placed into either a Windows or Mac computer, would using the copy feature backup both parts of the discs, or just the Mac portion?

Cheers, thanks.

Brains
3rd March 2008, 11:17 PM
You should use 'Device Copy' instead of 'Disc Copy'. That's what I do, it captures everything bit-for-bit no matter what format the disk is.

ken
5th March 2008, 06:52 AM
Strange... considering I can't find that option anywhere in the program. Not even the help file has anything documented on that.

rpjallan
5th March 2008, 07:54 AM
As far as I am aware, in Toast, you need two burners to do this. You just use Disc Copy directly from the original disc. I have done this once, a long time ago, using about Toast v4 I think...

Brains
5th March 2008, 01:08 PM
I haven't bothered to go beyond Toast 6, and 'Device Copy' is definitely in there -- it's been a feature ever since I started using Toast back when it was an Astarte product, before Adaptec bought it and then sold it off to Roxio. I'd be very suprised and annoyed if Toast 8 didn't have it.

One doesn't need two burners, or even two optical drives, to do a device-copy -- one selects the device to be copied, be it a hard drive, DVD drive, CD drive or any other physical storage device, then either choose 'copy' or 'save to disc image'.

ken
7th March 2008, 07:05 PM
Aha I have found a way to get this done. They no longer call it device copy. In fact they don't even call it/set it apart as a feature.

To perform "device copy" in Toast 8:

1. Insert the disc you want to copy into optical drive.
2. On the side tab options, choose "Copy", and then choose "Disc Copy"
3. Press Command+D to save it as a ".toast" image file.

Cheers and thanks for the pointers!