PDA

View Full Version : ram question

grorr76
20th March 2005, 11:41 AM
is there anyway of opttimising the ram and what program gets more etc to get the best from your ram and your system?

Byrd
20th March 2005, 11:55 AM
Unlike a PC where you can usually set your CAS/voltage ratings under the BIOS, unfortunately you can't do this on a Mac.

The Mac checks the SPD rating of the RAM, so when buying it make sure it has the lowest CAS ratings you can get (eg. CAS 2 for SDRAM, CAS 2-2-2-6 for DDR RAM). Once you have this in your system, it will run as fast as it is specified to run at. Also buy RAM that is over specification - eg. DDR400 RAM will have a much happier time running at tight latencies on a DDR333-based Mac.

As with optimising your RAM under the OS, it is allocated dynamically under OS X. OS X thrives on RAM - short of a processor upgrade adding RAM is the best way to improve OS X performance. The more the better, although on a standard system for general usage 512MB is sufficient. Answering your question, there is no program I'm aware of that allows you to allocate memory under OS X, or to 'boost' RAM settings.

JB

(Moved to Apple hardware)

grorr76
20th March 2005, 12:06 PM
Im running 2gb of pc3200 400mhz ram 4x 512, and still getting the odd freeze here and there, just really weird, thought when i added the 2nd gig itd eradicate this issue but it hasnt..

iSlayer
20th March 2005, 12:11 PM
are you sure thats not because the cpu is going 100%

grorr76
20th March 2005, 01:54 PM
Could be never know, but doesnt take much to make it freeze..

Byrd
20th March 2005, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by grorr76@Mar 20 2005, 01:54 PM
Could be never know, but doesnt take much to make it freeze..
What brand of PC3200 RAM are you running - is it matched, have you tried running it in different slots?

JB

Currawong
20th March 2005, 07:05 PM
You may just need to re-seat your RAM.

kim jong il
20th March 2005, 07:58 PM
Firstly you really want to forget everything you know about RAM allocation as it pertains to PCs. OS X does things quite dramatically differently. Listen to Byrd here, if your machine is 'freezing' it may be something quite different. That said, what exactly do you mean by 'freezing'? What does the activity monitor tell you about active processes and what they are doing when you experience these 'freezes'? Under OS X it is pretty unusual for the whole machine to hang, even if one application crashes or hangs the others will or should be unaffected as a rule. You may find it is one buggy process that is maxing out your CPU and causing major slow downs. You might want to consider installing, the very useful utility, menu meters which will tell you what is going on at a basic level in real time.

kim

grorr76
20th March 2005, 08:02 PM
hey there nah never the whole machine hangs up exept can take ages for a reboot. but mainly the freeze will freezee one program at a time... its basically been hapening when im converting video formats , itll convert nearly the whole section then just hang with about a minute to go. also getting the od hang with finder...

Yeah I realise I need to throw out my pc knowhow but im learning slowly, i still say going macs best thing ive ever done.

grorr76
20th March 2005, 08:11 PM
just installed menue meters great tool thanks for the heads up

kim jong il
21st March 2005, 09:21 AM
You may also want to look at the activity monitor (you will find this in the utilities folder within the applications folder)

I suspect the 'takes ages to reboot' is a result of you forcing a complete restart. OS X will not reboot until it has managed to quit active processes. If you want to force a process/application to restart I would suggest you use the force quit option and only restart a single process rather than the whole machine.

cheers, kim

grorr76
21st March 2005, 02:26 PM
hey there
thanks for all the info.. Today I picked up the mac mag icreate which had an article titles Turbocharge your mac, which gave some fantastic info on maximising its potential, ive run through a few of the steps like re nicing my most frequuently used programs, removing some startup items.etc etc Id whole heartly recomomend this artice and a little utility called onyx as its made a huge difference and its absolutly free of charge, there were some great tips in there enjoy..

suryo
22nd March 2005, 04:54 PM
Speed Freak is a cool utility you may want to check out. It renices all running applications at a specified interval so that the frontmost application gets highest priority.

kim jong il
22nd March 2005, 06:43 PM
Another little helper app' called Control Freak (which I use and available through version tracker) allows you to set a renice value for a selection of processes.

Rather than try to explain, check out one of the control panel windows and it tells you what it does far better than I can :D

kim