PDA

View Full Version : can i daisy chain ext dvd drive & ext hard drive

topher j
2nd March 2008, 08:21 AM
hi this might seem like a stupid question but here it goes
i have a g5 intel imac and connected to it through the only fw400 port is a external lacie d2 dvd drive my question is can i connect my external hard drive to the other fw400 port on the back of the dvd drive as a daisy chain
any help would be appreciated

HDK
2nd March 2008, 08:24 AM
Yes you can.

Andrew T Chadwick
2nd March 2008, 08:27 AM
I see no Problem as long as the drives have external power ,off the top of my head you can daisychain up to 63 divices off firewire 400 altough if your not confident just check with the apple support site:)

HDK
2nd March 2008, 08:31 AM
I think it was 16 devices, not 63.

Andrew T Chadwick
2nd March 2008, 08:38 AM
I think it was 16 devices, not 63.just checked and we are both right:)16 daisy chained,the rest as a tree or hierarchy,proves the first and best place to look is apples own help files:cool:RTFM,READ THE FRIGGIN MANUAL:D.PS still geting out of bed.:eek:

bennettnz
2nd March 2008, 09:36 AM
As said above you can, I have two Lacie drives daisy chained by firewire 800 both with their with external power, and they are in a Raid configuration. The Mac sees them as one drive - works fine.

MacDave
2nd March 2008, 09:45 AM
Granted, you can daisy-chain FW devices though sometimes it can cause unexpected issues as I've discovered when daisy-chaining an iSight after a FW burner and having coasters as a result and sometimes, with arrays of FW drives, there are weird mounting issues.

I think it's better practice to use a powered FW hub and distribute the FW devices across it. It also minimizes the chances of damaging the FW port and / or bus in the Mac. Some older G4 towers, for example, have fairly weak FW ports.

FW hubs are fairly cheap. Belkin makes decent ones.

Dave

topher j
2nd March 2008, 09:56 AM
thank all i will try it out and see what happens

Currawong
2nd March 2008, 05:29 PM
You sometimes might finding with daisy-chaining firewire devices that you need to change which sockets on the back or change the order. Firewire = serialised SCSI and is still a little prone to the kinds of issues SCSI had with the order devices sat in a chain.

tintinaujapon
6th March 2008, 09:24 PM
I just found this helpful thread before posting a similar query.

For reference, if it helps anyone, I just daisychained two LaCie external drives via FW800 and it's working like a charm. I have three partitions on each and all 6 drives show up on my desktop.

phoenixonline
6th March 2008, 09:59 PM
Ive been doing this for years, have a stack of HHD's in external cases, all daisy chained from one to the next. Never had any issues that i can remember.