PDA

View Full Version : Buying new Macbook overseas - how do I save old data for transferring while away?

Disclaimer
1st March 2008, 11:30 PM
Sorry if this comes off as a stupid question but, after more than a year, I'm still a bit of a Mac newbie.

So... I'm about to travel to the USA and, given the awesome exchange rate at the moment, I'm thinking of buying a new Macbook over there to replace my current iBook G4. However, rather than ending up with two laptops to lug around, I want to figure out a way to save all important data ready to load and use on the new computer while away. This includes calendars, personal info and even emails. What can I say? I'm a hoarder.

I do have a portable hard drive and I'm hoping I can migrate to the new Macbook by storing the files on that. Is this an easy enough process... or do I really need to have both computers on a network or something to best transfer the data?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

:)

Keving
1st March 2008, 11:35 PM
You could use time machine to save the data.. then use it to export it to the new machine if it's big enough of a portable usb driver... I believe.

Then it's a perfect clone.

thebookfreak58
1st March 2008, 11:36 PM
SuperDuper your G4 onto your drive. Then take that, plug into the MB and migrate the data accross.

Simple ;)

Disclaimer
8th March 2008, 03:44 PM
Thanks guys. Unfortunately, I won't have Time Machine until I get the new Macbook... but I'll try the SuperDuper idea.

I presume the change from PowerPC to Intel makes no difference to the content or the portable drive...?

Cheers.

gameon
8th March 2008, 03:48 PM
I presume the change from PowerPC to Intel makes no difference to the content or the portable drive...?

none at all

halledise
8th March 2008, 03:53 PM
Sorry if this comes off as a stupid question but, after more than a year, I'm still a bit of a Mac newbie.

So... I'm about to travel to the USA and, given the awesome exchange rate at the moment, I'm thinking of buying a new Macbook over there to replace my current iBook G4. However, rather than ending up with two laptops to lug around, I want to figure out a way to save all important data ready to load and use on the new computer while away. This includes calendars, personal info and even emails. What can I say? I'm a hoarder.

I do have a portable hard drive and I'm hoping I can migrate to the new Macbook by storing the files on that. Is this an easy enough process... or do I really need to have both computers on a network or something to best transfer the data?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

:)

simple answer:

a) backup address book
b) backup entire Home folder
c) when you make your new purchase, simply import that which you need from your backup - eg documents, music, pics, fonts, import mailboxes (including mail downloads & signatures) & Safari bookmarks, iCal is a little trickier but can be done.

or simply plug in portable hd and use Migration Assistant on your new Mac.