PDA

View Full Version : Can't update to 10.5.2 :(

Kzach
1st March 2008, 04:42 PM
I just recently upgraded to Leopard and finally remembered to let the updates download overnight.

But two of the updates simply refuse to properly update.

The one that I'm sure is the problem is the 10.5.2 Combined Update which clocks in at about 350MB.

It asks to restart and then closes everything and opens a progress dialogue box that says, "Configuring Installation" but the progress stalls after about ten or so seconds. I've let it go three times for over fifteen minutes in case it was just going really slow, but after that forced a restart.

Are there any known issues? Does anyone know why I can't update? Is it possible the installation is bugged? If so, how do I delete it and redownload?

Thanks for any help.

ClockWork
1st March 2008, 04:44 PM
You mention you let it download over night. Do you have a slow download speed?

If so, it's possible that it has downloaded most of the update... but not exactly all of it.

leon
1st March 2008, 05:02 PM
If you PM me your address, I will download the combo update for you, as well as any other updates you want and will post a CD out to you.

Kzach
1st March 2008, 05:02 PM
You mention you let it download over night. Do you have a slow download speed?

If so, it's possible that it has downloaded most of the update... but not exactly all of it.

Yeah, I was shaped to 64k. What can I do to fix this?

Whenever I open up Software Update, it just uses the already downloaded updates and the same thing happens again.

Kzach
1st March 2008, 05:03 PM
If you PM me your address, I will download the combo update for you, as well as any other updates you want and will post a CD out to you.

I'll be on 1500k in the next couple of days so thanks but if I can figure this out myself I'd prefer that :)

LarryH
1st March 2008, 05:04 PM

Whenever I open up Software Update, it just uses the already downloaded updates and the same thing happens again.

Kzach, because it's a new month now (March) try downloading it now, and it should be faster, unshaped.

leon
1st March 2008, 05:04 PM

You can go to Apple - Support - Downloads - Mac OS X 10.5.2 Combo Update (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1052comboupdate.html) and download the 10.5.2 combo updater manually. After it downloads, you can click on the disk image and it will begin the update process.

Kzach
1st March 2008, 05:09 PM
Kzach, because it's a new month now (March) try downloading it now, and it should be faster, unshaped.

I'm churning to a new ISP and regardless, Internode doesn't work by month but rather by your account start date :)

Kzach
1st March 2008, 05:10 PM
You can go to Apple - Support - Downloads - Mac OS X 10.5.2 Combo Update (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosx1052comboupdate.html) and download the 10.5.2 combo updater manually. After it downloads, you can click on the disk image and it will begin the update process.

Thanks! I'll have to start that download tonight and use it to update tomorrow.

Kzach
2nd March 2008, 09:46 AM
So, I spent another thirteen hours downloading the 10.5.2 Combo Update and finally went to mount the disk image and... error -4960

WTF?

ClockWork
2nd March 2008, 09:59 AM
Can you open any .dmg files, or is it just that one?

AddIt: You might want to run Disk Utility over your HD.

Kzach
2nd March 2008, 01:07 PM
Ok, I downloaded another .dmg and it mounted and dismounted itself just fine.

I also ran Disk Utility and the only thing it came back with was:

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

It can't be just coincidence that both downloads got corrupted, could it?

Also, why would the first one corrupt (through Software Update) just because of a slow download speed?

ClockWork
2nd March 2008, 01:51 PM
Try:

Firstly, make sure you have Repaired Disk Permissions in Disk Utility - then Shutdown your machine.

Start up in Safe Mode:

1. Be sure the computer is shut down.
2. Press the power button.
3. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the shift key.

The shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone but not before.

4. Release the shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator (the one that looks like a spinning gear).

During Startup, you will see the words: Safe Boot appear on your screen.

5. After it has fully started up in Safe Mode, try installing that Mac OS 10.5.2 Combo Update you downloaded again.

What is the result?

If it works, run Repair Disk Permissions in Disk Utility again. That SUID file Warning should be gone.

Kzach
2nd March 2008, 02:42 PM
Repaired Permissions, shutdown, started up in safe boot, tried mounting the .dmg... same error.

ClockWork
2nd March 2008, 03:46 PM
Boot up in Single User Mode:

Shut down computer.

Power up with :cmd: and S keys held down, until you see a black screen with white text on it.

Let the white text scroll down until it ends with: root#

Then type:

/sbin/fsck -fy

and press return key.

Let it run until it presents you with : root# again - (take note of what it said as it tested itself).

Then type: reboot

and press return key again.

I doubt this will help, though it's worth eliminating.

To further enlighten the problem, open your HD -> Applications folder -> Utilities folder and open: Console

In Console, select: system.log from the left, Copy All, and Paste it back into here, as Code.

At this point in time, I have no idea what has happened, though it looks like both downloads are indeed corrupt, and this has been known to happen if the download speed is slow, as even if there is the very slightest disruption during download, although it looks like you've downloaded the full update, tiny parts of it are missing.

Suggest next download you do is to come from:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/29147

and @ 1,500 kbps - not @ the shaped 64 kbps.

Kzach
2nd March 2008, 05:32 PM
Thanks.

I'll wait until I've churned to the new ISP. This 64k crap doesn't cut it :)

Currawong
2nd March 2008, 08:09 PM
If you're on Internode, why don't you just buy a data block for this month?

Kzach
2nd March 2008, 08:45 PM
If you're on Internode, why don't you just buy a data block for this month?

Because I'm on a 5GB plan paying $50 a month and I'm over 21GB. I've already purchased $30 extra bandwidth this month and don't feel like giving them another $30 just to get 4GB more just to download something faster when I've been waiting almost a week for a churn to TPG.

Internode are a great ISP for everything but value for money.

But thanks for helping me up my post count :)

Kzach
4th March 2008, 12:46 PM
Ok, finally churned and downloaded the update at 1.5mbps and voila, it worked perfectly.

That is bizarre, though, that just because of speed it doesn't complete properly. Apple basically forces people to be on the internet with broadband :(

Thanks for all the help and advice.

ClockWork
4th March 2008, 12:54 PM
Apple basically forces people to be on the internet with broadband :(

Yup.

In fact I have quite a few clients who insist on using an Apple USB Modem, and they pay me to burn all the software updates to DVD for them. ;)

toloratedmeat
18th April 2008, 03:18 PM
I found the easiest way out of this!
I installed Leopard on my eMac PPC G4 1.42GHz and it was really laggy so I took it down to the apple store at Macquarie Centre in NSW and they shoved in 4GB of ram. Then when i brought it back, i tried to run software update and i decided i did not need any of the updates except the combo. So i installed it and it told me it was corrupted. Pissed off i went to the mac genius at the store and he shoved me a BRAND NEW leopard 10.5.2 cd. I installed it and i sold my old one on eBay and racked up a healthy amount:D

3dward_Shaddow
18th April 2008, 04:08 PM
That is bizarre, though, that just because of speed it doesn't complete properly. Apple basically forces people to be on the internet with broadband

If you go with iiNet they have Apple updates in their freezone :thumbup: