PDA

View Full Version : Mail & Gmail IMAP - Stop Syncing my Spam Folder!

decryption
1st March 2008, 02:35 PM
I've got a few Gmail accounts that I hit up via Mail which I like, however, it freaking sync's my spam folder. I've got about 450 emails in my spam folder over the past 3 days. Is there any way to stop Mail updating this folder or to disable it in Gmail?

astr0b0y
1st March 2008, 02:52 PM
Nope... Love to be proved wrong though.

decryption
1st March 2008, 02:55 PM
Nope... Love to be proved wrong though.

gaarghh, what a bandwidth sucker :(

astr0b0y
1st March 2008, 03:14 PM
its all text, so not too much bandwidth gets used. You can set up a rule in Mail to delete everything that comes into that folder I'm sure.

andrew.wilson
1st March 2008, 03:53 PM
Mail and Gmail IMAP has always shit me off. It seems that Gmail has not properly implemented IMAP.

Basically on Mail, every time I got a new message it would be duplicated in my Mail inbox and a Gmail folder on the sidebar, this would also tell me I had a new message whenever I sent one as well. Reading it or deleting it on my main inbox wouldn't do anything, it would still show up in this other annoying folder I would have to sort through, find and manually delete. It was annoying as hell and I gave up and set POP back up.

I'm hoping someone will tell me this has changed or give me a fix though :)

Edge
1st March 2008, 04:18 PM
There is a fix, you have to individually map the folders, I forget where though. Google here I come...

andrew.wilson
1st March 2008, 04:27 PM
There is a fix, you have to individually map the folders, I forget where though. Google here I come...

See I read that but apparently you can do it for every folder except the inbox, which annoyed the hell outa me. Surely not everyone here has the same issue so hopefully we can find a fix...

drzeus
21st April 2008, 05:33 PM
Has anyone come across a solution to Decryption's problem of turning off syncing for the SPAM folder??

I'm in the same predicament...get about 4000 spam emails per month so every time I run Apple Mail it takes forever to download hundreds of new spam emails! It's driving me crazy!

Why can't there be a way to select which folders are synced? It seems like such an obvious omission!

Jun
21st April 2008, 05:36 PM
I have four gmail accounts and I don't get any spam at all.

camel
21st April 2008, 06:01 PM
I have four gmail accounts and I don't get any spam at all.

check your spam folder

Jun
21st April 2008, 06:35 PM
check your spam folder

Nope, empty! They all say "Hooray, no spam here!"

Not complaining mind you, I'm happy I've not been spammed yet.

semaja2
21st April 2008, 07:08 PM
This is why i dont use IMAP with gmail ;)

teamshaw
27th April 2008, 05:15 PM
If you go into the web interface and select "Create a Filter", set the"Has the words" field to in:spam then change the actions to "Mark as Read" and "Delete It".

Bit of a work around but it seems to be working for me so far!

Cheers,
Ben