PDA

View Full Version : How to run your air ?



LevMac
29th February 2008, 06:55 PM
Hey guys, just a quick question, if I have done a calibration of my MBA battery, is it ok to just run it off the magsafe power adapter after the calibration ? Just wondering if its ok to leave it plugged in and run it off the adapter, then say once a month do a calibration running it off battery ?

Thanks

Huy
29th February 2008, 06:58 PM
Yes.

Yes.

It stops charging when it reaches 100%.

LevMac
29th February 2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks Huy :) :thumbup:

mac_man_luke
29th February 2008, 08:07 PM
why buy a laptop if your not going to move it lol

especially an ultra portable

but you will be fine, lithiums are harmed more by letting them go completely flat

Dante Kyar
29th February 2008, 08:41 PM
if ever now and then you drain it a bit that would be good. Just pull out the magsafe every now and then. Might be better to keep the juices flowing.

LevMac
1st March 2008, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the replies It seems that its fine to leave it plugged into the MagSafe adapter and run it. Ive done the full calibration twice now, and its just been plugged in since the last calibration, and its showing the battery to be 98%, why is this ?

Ive just tried taking the magsafe off and running on battery power, the time remaining showed some weird results, it went from 5:20 remaining to 4:49 remaining with the drop from 98% to 96% ? And then back up to 5:10 remaining and then 3:55 and then 4:31....

Huy
1st March 2008, 11:01 PM
Like I said in the PM...

In that 10 minute timeframe, did you do different things? Because the battery time remaining is affected by things such as...

Bluetooth being on/off,
wireless being on/off,
your screen brightness being adjusted,
whether sound is playing,
whether you are writing/reading from the disk
whether it is just being idle (doing nothing)

My gf's Air and the battery is a bit crazy sometimes too but what happens is, when you charge it, the first 80% or so is very fast and then the remaining 20% takes a long time to charge back up (compared to the first 80%).

Once you get to around 10-20 charge cycles, I think things should stabilise out (about 2 weeks or 3).

I wouldn't worry about it too much, your Air is brand new and is just having some initial growing pains, to get used to being used and recharged - after a while things even out and it becomes less temperamental about it.

If the problems still persist after 3 months, I think you should be worried then, but for now, just enjoy the ride and not worry too much about the readings because I think it is inaccurate for the first couple of tries, then it will work itself out over time. :)

LevMac
3rd March 2008, 08:44 PM
Ok guys, I did a full discharge and ran the battery past the "your now running on reserve battery" point until the computer went to sleep, and left it like that until the morning which is past the 5 hour recommendation Apple states to do...

So in the morning (8am) I plugged the unit back into AC power to charge during the day while I was at work, came back home (6pm) and the magsafe had the green light stating it was fully charged, opened the macbook air up, and it came up with the white screen and the grey bar that usually happens when it goes to sleep and it booted into Mac OSX fine...with 100% displayed in the battery charge icon up the top...

I had a go at iStat and it said my battery health is at 96% with 9 cycles performed and charge showing 100%. A few days ago the health on the battery was at 98%, why the sudden drop ? Is there any way to get the health back up ? Its not really worrying me too much, im just a bit picky with this kinda stuff thats all....