PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook G4

fairy1
19th March 2005, 12:02 PM
Hi all hows it going??

I have been considering to purchase the new pb g4's for quiet some time now and will be doing so in 2 weeks . However b4 i do i would just like to know some things.

" 5400-rpm 80GB hard drive" wats rpm? and can i upgrade my hard drive to 100 gb later on. Or is it a MUST when you buy it ?

and is wats so good about 100gb.. is 80 enuf?

ill be buying the pb g4 with superdrive..

after reading all the posts here relating to this hardware everyone is pretty much in luv with there laptops.. Thats pretty good can some one also please suggest a website where you can get cool wallpapers and screensavers. It will be my first eva mac.

ohhh andd theres this program it allows you to see all your contacts from icq, msn and yahoo all in one.. and you can skin it to make it transparent and pretty lol.

does anyone know wat that program is?

hmmm if neone would like to recommend some really cool software to consider or printers, and cd storage please do so.

Thanks alot for the help pple!

Fairy.

by the way dont ask me why i chose fairy as a username couldnt think of nething at the time besides fairies lol i thinkkkk i was how do they say "off with the fairies" :P

glenmorrow
19th March 2005, 12:38 PM
hey fairy
haven't posted for a while so might as well answer some of your questions.

Firstly RPM stands for revolutions per minute, basically how many times your hard drive spins in a 1 minute time period. 5400rpm is pretty standard and suitable for most people, if you are doing lots of video editing with rendering and runnings lots of hard drive intesive applications, you could think about 7200 but its not necessary for a lot of people.

80gb vs 100gb, well, if you can afford it then its always good to have exxtra hard drive space. But again comes down to what you are using your machine for. If you need to store audio/video content, then a bigger hard drive is always advantagous (sp?) .

Don't know anything about MSN/ICQ/etc, don't use them so can't help there sorry.

This forum is excellent if you do have questions (not saying that my advice is good!! :)) but seriously there are lots of users who've use macs for all sorts of stuff and seem to be happy to share knowledge.

Good luck with the purchase, you won't look back!! I certainly never have.

Glen

theov
19th March 2005, 01:00 PM
hey fairy

i use the program Proteus, it has heaps of different messaging thingies you can use with it and you can make it go transparent when its not the active program.
Search proteus on versiontracker.com and you should be able to find.

hope this helps. :)

josh64
19th March 2005, 01:08 PM
The program you are thinking of could quite possibly be Adium.

http://www.adiumx.com

Exocet
20th March 2005, 12:47 AM
Another vote here for Adium. Also, it is very difficult to install new hard-drives (if not impossible), but you can buy standard hard-drives and purchase an external hard-drive caddy, and place the hard-drive in there and connect it to your laptop via firewire.

fairy1
20th March 2005, 09:46 AM
Thanks everyone i think i will go with the 80gig hard drive and buy an external one which i can store mp3 songs and other stuff.
so its adium?? hmm i will download that when i get pb .

Does anyone here use Iwork?? is that beter then Mac office??

does it have xcl?

MacV
20th March 2005, 10:24 AM
Hi Fairy,

AdiumX would be your best bet. Proteus is good as well, but AdiumX is Free.

I have both iWork and Office 2004:Mac. I use Pages in iWork for creating impressive newsletters because of the amazing built-in templates in Pages. Keynote 2 gets used more often than powerpoint, as I like Keynote 2 more than Powerpoint. For spreadsheets I use Excel, yes Office 2004: Mac as well as the older Office v.X does have Excel in it. Unfortunately iWork does not have a spreadsheet in it, so if that is really important to you then you should get Office 2004: Mac. If you are a student or teacher than you can get Office significantly lower than the non-education version.

Otherwise, welcome to the "Cult"

Cheerio

~macV~

chocho
20th March 2005, 10:39 AM
i'd go with the 80g since i''ve heard the 100g is more audible than the 80! also the 80g has been around for a while, so they would have corrected any problems with them!

:-)