PDA

View Full Version : VHS to DVD

vid
19th March 2005, 04:52 AM
I have some OLD home movies out of a Camera (the camera no longer works) that took FULL size VHS tapes, I'd like to put these in the VCR and SOMEHOW connect this to my Powerbook and transfer them to DVD.
Has anyone got any ideas on what hardware I need to connect them together and get this working.

Thanks

Fear
19th March 2005, 06:47 AM
If you have a dv camera with a av input you can record vhs to dv.

then hook up your dv camera to your powerbook via firewire and record edit via imovie / idvd, simple cost effective.

Asuming you have a DV camera with av in tho, if not try something like this? XLR8 Interview 3.0 (http://daystartechnology.com/Apple_Mac_Products/XLR8_Macintosh_Products/Mac_USB_Video_Capture_OSX_PS.html)

Edit: Typos...

sikosis
19th March 2005, 09:05 AM
or if you have one of these DVD recorders set top boxes, u can usually dub VHS (via your VCR) onto a DVD via that, then rip that DVD using your mac.

Fear
19th March 2005, 09:47 AM
Your options are very limted with a powerbook mate.
unless theres like a pcmcia hardware mpeg 2 encoding card out there for the mac, that or a usb one.

hawker
19th March 2005, 10:02 AM
Limited?

EyeTV or Formac Studio will set you back some money but do have A/V inputs for this type of project.

Fear
19th March 2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by hawker@Mar 19 2005, 10:02 AM
Limited?

EyeTV or Formac Studio will set you back some money but do have A/V inputs for this type of project.
well if hes willing to spend that much on a home movie sure go for it :P

Currawong
19th March 2005, 12:08 PM
Yeah, you'd be looking at a couple of hundred at least for a Canopus box to convert video to DV (though firewire) but then you could import direct into iMovie very easily.

timdotexe
19th March 2005, 02:09 PM
I have a Canopus ADVC-100.

I have never looked back, awesome product, 100+ vhs tapes, 0 dropped frames.