PDA

View Full Version : EyeTV + external HDD

pgseye
28th February 2008, 01:40 PM
I was using a firewire Lacie drive to record EyeTV programs to, but then turned it into a backup drive for Time Machine for my wife's computer.

I've also got a USB Lacie drive that I can use on Windows and OS X, so it's obviously formatted differently (I don't know how though). When I try to use that as my target disk, it gives me a "The EyeTV archive is on a non-macintosh disk which has file system limitations" and I can't use that drive.

Is there any way around this. I need to have this drive Win/Mac compatble for work and didn't really want to buy another.

Thanks.

Joz
28th February 2008, 02:04 PM
FAT32 has a 4GB file size limitation. That would be why eyetv can't use it. OS X doesn't support NTFS, so you could be a bit stuck.

pgseye
28th February 2008, 02:45 PM
OK,

Would it be possible to use the Firewire drive I'm currently using with TIme Machine and partition? it so that I've got a fixed space (say 50 gig) for EyeTV recordings? The obvious problem with Time Machine is it will eventually fill it up.

Joz
28th February 2008, 02:49 PM
Yeah that should work fine.

pgseye
28th February 2008, 02:51 PM
Yeah that should work fine.

Thanks Joz. Just another Q - how do I do that? I have absolutely no idea about partitioning, never having done it before.

Thanks

Joz
28th February 2008, 02:58 PM
Have a look at http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/partitioning_tiger.html

Just remember it'll erase anything on the disk.

purana
28th February 2008, 02:59 PM
Back up everything on the drive for starters, then use Disk Utility to create erase the drive and create 2 partitations. First one format as DOS filesystem, then 2nd one as HPFS extended.

Eject drive/unmount and connect to windows host. Then using Disk Manager on Windows to reformat the DOS filesystem as FAT32 or NTFS. Whatever you want.

Then you will have 2 seperate volumes.. of course NTFS will only be readable on the mac unless you buy paragon util.

pgseye
28th February 2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks guys,

Couple of other quick questions:

1. Do I want Mac OS Extended (Journaled) if I'm wanting a partition to use for Time Machine. I read you need journaled to make it bootable?

2. If I make both partitions the same (eg Mac OS Extended) and I decide at a later time that I no longer want the partition, can you delete it without reformatting your drive??

purana
28th February 2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks guys,

Couple of other quick questions:

1. Do I want Mac OS Extended (Journaled) if I'm wanting a partition to use for Time Machine. I read you need journaled to make it bootable?

2. If I make both partitions the same (eg Mac OS Extended) and I decide at a later time that I no longer want the partition, can you delete it without reformatting your drive??

Yes on Q1, and yes on Q2, but I wouldn't advise it. As with any changes of that nature you run the risk that it doesn't work and thus looses the data. You'll find all such actions will come with a warning that they recommend you backup. So I'd say yes it's possible, but not worth it if the data is the only copy you have.