PDA

View Full Version : Ibook optical drive & using another macs drive

adriaaan
28th February 2008, 10:02 AM
Hello ,

I feel like i have almost used up my help questions, however,

I have an ibook g3 500mhz. The optical drive does not work. I also have a mini. Can i some how use the minis drive to install 10.4 on my ibook? I have the disks.

Thanks again.

Martin.

thorevenge
28th February 2008, 10:10 AM
The only way to do this is via retail media and firewire disk mode.

vicmeldrew
28th February 2008, 10:21 AM
Restart the iBook holding down the "T" key. Connect to your Mini with a firewire cable. It will appear on your Mini's desktop as an external drive.

Insert your retail 10.4 discs into mini and restart holding "C" key. You be able to select the iBook to install the OS when the installer asks where to install.

forgie
28th February 2008, 10:31 AM
Restart the iBook holding down the "T" key. Connect to your Mini with a firewire cable. It will appear on your Mini's desktop as an external drive.

Insert your retail 10.4 discs into mini and restart holding "C" key. You be able to select the iBook to install the OS when the installer asks where to install.
That method works, but not if your mini is Intel, since the iBook is PPC. You'll end up with an Intel install of OS X on the iBook. If it IS an Intel mac mini.....

What you need to do is to put the DVD into the mini, start up the mini holding down T, plug in your firewire cable, then start up the iBook with the Option key held down. The OS X install DVD (which is in the mini) should show up as a boot option on the iBook. Select it, then install to your iBook HDD.

luke_in_tas
28th February 2008, 10:35 AM
You can use the mini as an external optical drive for your iBook. Connect the two with a firewire cable. Restart the mini holding down the 'T' key on the keyboard. Insert you disc into the mini, and it will appear on the desktop of your iBook.

I had to do this to install Leopard on my PowerBook when the optical drive in it failed (see here (http://homepage.mac.com/luke.manhood/blog/files/leopard-enabled.html)).

adriaaan
28th February 2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks everyone! Worked a treat. And yes you do need a retail version of tiger. I tried the disks that came with my intel mini (10.4.?) but got a kernel panic message. So i am on the look out for a retail version of tiger.

Martin