PDA

View Full Version : Moving from one Mac to another

digger1914
28th February 2008, 07:17 AM
Now that I am moving on to my second ever Mac ...

I was wondering what teh best process was to get my data and apps from the old machine to the new one.

I use SuperDuper! and was planning to do a restore from my bootable clone, as this seemed the simplest way ahead.

Then I thought that I would lose any benefit of a nice clean and fresh install by bringing across a couple of years "stuff" from installing and deleting apps etc.

What do you long time users use to do this?

Thanks

krafty
28th February 2008, 07:34 AM
use a FireWire cable to connect the two computers. Hold down the T key on restart of the computer you wish to send files to.
then you can drag and drop to the HD of the new computer accordingly.
It is called target mode.

cosmichobo
28th February 2008, 07:57 AM
Are you already running OS 10.5? Getting a new machine usually (for me at least) means an upgrade in system software... which in itself means that you'll avoid bringing over a lot of defunct files floating around the System folder.

Even if you're running 10.5, you should do an instal of the System from the new Mac's System disc, rather than just using the system from your old Mac, as there can be Mac-specific differences between what was installed on your old Mac and the new one.

digger1914
28th February 2008, 08:40 AM
Yes, I am already running 10.5.2 on my existing machine

Al Aero
28th February 2008, 09:02 AM
Migration assistant in Utilities is handy, but as cosmichobo said i would do a fresh install of all the apps, then port your docs, tunes, movies etc over..

HTH

a.

Currawong
28th February 2008, 09:59 AM
The benefit to fresh applications installs would be you'd get the latest versions, if most of them were shareware/freeware from the net. If not, Migration Assistant will be just as good. I wouldn't clone a system to a new machine, as it might not include drivers needed for things such as the video card.

sendai
28th February 2008, 11:23 AM
Try the Installer /Setup Assistant Migration Assistant first, migrating from your old mac. If your system is healthy, it'll work a treat. If it doesn't re-install, setup a temporary user and run Migration Assistant manually (that often resolves minor issues.) If things continue to go wrong... migrate manually.

As an aside: The system on my MacBook was initially a Public Beta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Public_Beta) install on my iBook which I upgraded right-up-to 10.3 before migrating it to MacBook. I haven't had any major issues with upgrading/migrating (not with my personal machines anyhow.)

digger1914
28th February 2008, 09:25 PM
thanks folks. Good advice there

snark
1st March 2008, 03:31 PM
If I'm getting a new Mac that will have 10.5 installed, and my current Mac (which is a PPC G4 mini) is 10.4, is Migration Assistant still the best way to go?

I suspect that I only really need to migrate Mail, iTunes, and my keychain across - all my other documents, pictures, browser favourites, etc. I've got backed up, and I happy to re-install most of my apps from scratch.

spargo
1st March 2008, 03:44 PM
I'm doing it right now between my Tiger-running Powerbook, and brand spanker MacBook Pro. Don't have a FW cable, so I used a patch/crossover network cable between the two to manually move across my tunes and pics, plus other random folders via the Finder on the MBP. Seemed easy enough once file sharing was enabled and I remembered to use the 'right' password and username to access the PB.

Seemed quite quick too!

digger1914
4th March 2008, 07:40 PM
I know I shouldn't be surprised, but the transfer went impeccably. Just plugged the two machines together with the firewire cable and bob's your uncle, it was all done.

Thanks for the advice folks

flyboy
7th March 2008, 08:58 PM
Hi all,
Im not having as much luck here. I tried the migration assistant to transfer stuff from my Powerbook to my new Macbook but it wouldnt transfer Itunes and all my pics. When i clicked on
the music folder (which had a little red flag beside it) it said " the folder "music" could not be opened because you do not have sufficient access privileges"
I did to a search on Mac help and i thought i addressed that issue. Any other ideas anyone??

Currawong
8th March 2008, 09:50 AM
Were you clicking on the Music folder on your old machine? You may be able to "Get info" (press Apple-i on your keyboard after selecting the file) on the Music folder and change the ownership to yourself to allow you to import it.

snark
26th March 2008, 05:33 PM
I'm running Migration Assistant over my LAN (100 Mb Ethernet) to transfer just my settings (not Apps, not Other Folders) to a new MBP. Before I started, it estimated about 1 hour to do 27 GB or so.

However, it's now telling me that I have "About 19 hours and 50 minutes remaining", and seems to be stuck.
Any ideas? Can I abort the process? Anyone know where I can get a Firewire cable on a wet Wednesday night in Melbourne?

[edit: although the time estimate is not changing, the progress bar is actually creeping across the screen, so it may in fact be progressing.

And in case anyone was wondering, I'm posting using my PC]

snark
26th March 2008, 05:59 PM
OK, looks like actual progress is being made - we're down to 4 hours 11 minutes remaining. At this rate, it might be finished sooner than that.
And I thought it was only Microsoft who gave completely bogus estimates of time.:p

[edit: OK, I completely panicked when I saw 19+ hours. It's finished copying, and in future, I'll try to be a bit more patient before I post]

drzeus
26th March 2008, 06:54 PM
I'm running Migration Assistant over my LAN (100 Mb Ethernet) to transfer just my settings (not Apps, not Other Folders) to a new MBP. Before I started, it estimated about 1 hour to do 27 GB or so.

However, it's now telling me that I have "About 19 hours and 50 minutes remaining", and seems to be stuck.
Any ideas? Can I ab

you must be doing something wrong... 19hrs and 27GB to transfer JUST the settings? hmm I think you might have selected more than that..or perhaps that includes your photos/music/movies etc

snark
26th March 2008, 07:18 PM
you must be doing something wrong... 19hrs and 27GB to transfer JUST the settings? hmm I think you might have selected more than that..or perhaps that includes your photos/music/movies etc
27 GB includes my photo library, video, mail, documents etc. Not an unreasonable amount of data. Anyway, its done now - took somewhere between 60 and 90 minutes....