PDA

View Full Version : 2.4 or 2.5 GHz Processor???

Blue Water Boy
27th February 2008, 10:04 PM
hey guy...like most people i have been eagerly waiting for the MacBook Pro update, but i have a dilemma. Is there a significant difference between the bottom end 15" with the 2.4 GHz processor and the mid range 15" with the 2.5 GHz. obviously funds is an issue....i need to jusitfy to my parents the cost of upgrading the processor...Thanks all!

iTalk
27th February 2008, 10:07 PM
The price difference between the two versions is quite ridiculous. However I still went for the high end one ( with 2.5GHz processor though ).
What you get for the high end MBP is: faster processor with high 6MB Cache, 512MB Video card memory, and larger size HDD.

Huy
27th February 2008, 10:17 PM
Just get the 2.4 if funds is an issue.

mechcon
27th February 2008, 10:18 PM
What do you have at the moment bande? honestly, the 2.4ghz will be suffice :)

Blue Water Boy
27th February 2008, 10:25 PM
at the moment i have a powerbook G4 12"....its about 3 years old running leopard. i sold my intel iMac a couple of months ago to make way for the new MacBook Pro's. (ive just been to paris and broke my PowerBook so atm im sans computer)

anarchron
27th February 2008, 10:50 PM
MacBook Air FTW!

Huy
27th February 2008, 10:53 PM
Hmm, yes I think either MacBook Air if you want portability etc and can afford to (I'm guessing so, since you can buy a MBP?).

OR, just cheap out and get a MacBook 13" Combo drive. :D

anarchron
27th February 2008, 10:54 PM
Being a former PB12 user, the purchasing the MBA to replace it has been the best decision I've made to do with a Mac so far.

Huy
27th February 2008, 10:59 PM
I'm a former PB 12" user (then MB 13" user). Currently without a laptop.

Am thinking of getting a laptop but not urgently needed (got a nice desktop, iMac 24").

The Air is a very very nice machine. I played with one all afternoon (it's the mrs' one) and right now I'm in a pickle about whether to get another MB 13", Black MB 13", Air, or MBP 2.4GHz.

Sort of in the same situation as the original poster I guess, except I do have a machine already and it is just fantastic (2.4 C2D, 4GB, 500GB, etc!).

shelly79
1st July 2008, 12:28 PM
This is what I want to be able to do: Run adobe photoshop, run word and probably email all at once. I realise that either 2.4 or 2.5 GHz would seem much faster compared to my current iBook, but if I was at 2.4 and upgraded to 2.5 would I really notice any difference?

What you get for the high end MBP is: faster processor with high 6MB Cache, 512MB Video card memory, and larger size HDD.

I can upgrade the HD for way less that the price difference so it is just the processor that's different, unless there is something else I'm missing...?

dotComrade
1st July 2008, 12:38 PM
This is what I want to be able to do: Run adobe photoshop, run word and probably email all at once. I realise that either 2.4 or 2.5 GHz would seem much faster compared to my current iBook, but if I was at 2.4 and upgraded to 2.5 would I really notice any difference?

I can upgrade the HD for way less that the price difference so it is just the processor that's different, unless there is something else I'm missing...?

As long as you upgrade your RAM to 4GB you would probably be fine with the 2.4. Unless you are working with very large photoshop files, the increase from the 2.4 to 2.5 wont be that noticeable.

shelly79
2nd July 2008, 10:26 AM
Well, some files get pretty big as they become composites of tiffs. At the moment I have to close all other programs to align them

Hamsmyth
2nd July 2008, 10:36 AM
Well, some files get pretty big as they become composites of tiffs. At the moment I have to close all other programs to align them

Then the AIr wouldn't be a good option - not enough grunt. I think the 2.4 MBP would eat it for breakfast though.

NathR32
4th July 2008, 11:18 PM
Increasing the ram to 4GB will be far more beneficial than a 0.1GHz increase in processor speed.

morn
5th July 2008, 08:54 PM
I doubt the difference between 2.4ghz and 2.5ghz would even be noticeable.
Perhaps if something is demanding on the cache... even then would probably be slight difference.