PDA

View Full Version : iMac behaving waaayy too slow after a while..

stefanlod
27th February 2008, 09:13 PM
Ok: mid 2007 model iMac, OS X 10.5.2.

You look at how fast stuff should be on a computer like this: one bounce for Safari, etc etc. But strangely, my iMac will be fine for a while, and then suddenly it'll be slow for a whole lot of tasks that should take no time at all.. no hardware problems or anything.

So for example, consider System preferences: freezes for about 30 seconds after launching, panels take at least 20 seconds to load (sharing takes over a minute). But after doing a reset, it'll be fine. I don't know when it starts to slow down, but I'm lead to believe that it's after it wakes up from sleep mode. What can I do to fix this, as it's certainly a software issue?

OziMac
27th February 2008, 09:15 PM
Hmm, interesting that the same issue is mentioned here (http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=45245).

Perhaps try what they suggested in that thread - have you applied the Leopard graphics update?

stefanlod
27th February 2008, 09:21 PM
Yes - software is all up to date. Also, I just checked, the computer isn't set to go to sleep (it shares two printers), so it must be something else other than graphics... :S

SilverJ
27th February 2008, 09:24 PM
No virus scanner in use?
Go to Finder - Applications - Utilities - Activity Monitor
See what is taking up most of your CPU usage and RAM?

stefanlod
28th February 2008, 07:43 PM
Ok update: after a while, I notice a process, pmTool takes up a heap of CPU - and the whole computer is slow. But after force quitting the process, it restarts, so I need to do a hard reboot. But after that, it's fine and fast, and pmTool takes up about .8% CPU instead of about 70-95%. What's the solution here?

astr0b0y
28th February 2008, 08:24 PM
pmTool is a program that Activity Monitor uses to track processes. Probably not the culprit.

stefanlod
28th February 2008, 09:21 PM
Hmmm would there be any blanket solution that I could try doing to fix the problem? I tried re-installing OS X earlier, but that didn't seem to fix the problem (although I only did an archive and install - would this be sufficient?)..

Currawong
28th February 2008, 10:49 PM
Open up the Console and see if anything interesting appears in the logs at the slow-down.

Also, does this regular slow-down happen if you're logged in as another user?

Currawong
1st March 2008, 07:40 PM
An update: We found the problem. The console was full of messages about hard disk-related stuff. Turning off "Put hard disks to sleep where possible" in Energy Saver in the System Preferences fixed the problem.