PDA

View Full Version : Best OSX Programming Langauge for a Starter?

AppleXY
18th March 2005, 10:12 PM
Ey, Sup people! Man, I'm happy with my PowerBook, never turned back since :) . But I kinda want to program my mac, using programming languages. Yes I'm 14 (I know, I'm not your typical teen, but I still work out, and I really like this girl which I really adore but I'm fricken scared to go up2 her :( ) . Nwayz, I know to program under Liberty B.A.S.I.C. But LB is not for mac :( So I'm kinda loose on programming, havn't studied it for a while, but I'll 2 go back on. But I don't know where to start. Some people said to start with Java, but some people said to start with C. I was going to start with Java, but I don't where to get the SDK. And, I'm not familar with those real real hard languages like C, Objective-C, C++..

My main intention to make applications is to learn how to do it, so I can get a big boost wen I do a Uni Course and wen I get a occupation, and I want to make it coz nothing better to do.

I don't wanna learn Cocoa, Carbon, coz I wanna make Cross-Platform apps, which work on windows as well as macs. (if possible)

Thanks alot Guys/Gurls! :D ;)

Peace!

decryption
18th March 2005, 10:25 PM
Making totally cross-platform apps with no re-compiling can only really be done with Java (which is just as difficult as C).
If I was you, I'd learn Objective-C, once you've learnt that, it's fairly easy to apply the knowledge you've learnt to different languages such as C# or C++

AppleXY
18th March 2005, 10:52 PM
thanks decryption! You rock :D

luztra
18th March 2005, 11:45 PM
I would say start with Java; make sure you get your head around the whole object orientation concept first - once you understand that, Java is not that hard to grasp. If you don't understand object orientation, learning Java will definitely cause you grief. If you go to the Sun website, you can get all the tools you need to get you started and they also have some docs that you will find useful.

sikosis
19th March 2005, 01:21 AM
you should start off with python ... it's pretty easy to pic up and it's cross-platform.

zoom
19th March 2005, 01:29 AM
Take a look at the Hacker Howto (http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html)

No matter what language you choose, the best advice I can give is to learn to use a real editor. Emacs would be my suggestion. Like many worthwhile things, emacs takes some effort to learn, persist with it.

There is a nice apple produced download of emacs here (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/unix_open_source/carbonemacspackage.html)

Good luck

AppleXY
19th March 2005, 07:40 AM
Thx alot guys! I'm made my final choice: I'm doing python, it looks way easy, and its Cross-Platform. Then I'll start with more complex languages ;)

kim@torchpublishing.com.au
19th March 2005, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by AppleXY@Mar 18 2005, 10:12 PM
I kinda want to program my mac,I know to program under Liberty B.A.S.I.C. But LB is not for mac
If you already know some BASIC and want to program cross-platform why don't you try RealBasic? It's relatively cheap (has edcation discounts as well) and can compile for Mac, Windows and Linux. The fundamentals you'll learn won't go astray when you move into the heavier languages. It also has a very extensive user community.

cheers

kim