PDA

View Full Version : I.M. Clients.. what do you use?

mechcon
27th February 2008, 06:47 PM
Alright, just curious as to who uses what in the way of instant messaging??

aspro
27th February 2008, 06:52 PM
Adium all the way.

MrJesseRoss
Adium. It used to give me grief on the iMac running Tiger, but it runs beautifully on my Macbook with Leopard. Unless MS come out with something spectacular for the next version of Messenger, I'm sticking with Adium.

Aaron
Adium for MSN. Would use the iChat w/ transporting if I was bothered to set it all up. :)

bennyling
27th February 2008, 06:55 PM
Not another iChat vs Adium thread!

AHHHH!!

That being said, iChat + Transport + Chax FTW!

timothy
27th February 2008, 06:55 PM
Adium is getting my vote...

ollielowe
27th February 2008, 06:57 PM
I started Adium, went to iChat with transports (which wasn't too bad to set up), but it just didn't work well enough for me. I just went back to Adium and am happy with it. I do use iChat, however, for the odd video chats with friends.

iPirate
27th February 2008, 06:58 PM
iChat all the way! If only I could have a 96*96 avatar so that my friends stopped using that as an excuse to say my mac sucked :(

dev_enter
27th February 2008, 07:01 PM
iChat with iChatQ (for stripping html out of outgoing messages for use with ICQ).

Meh 626
27th February 2008, 07:04 PM
Adium FTW!

Thanks,
Meh :D

silverdreamer
27th February 2008, 07:17 PM
Not another iChat vs Adium thread!

AHHHH!!

That being said, iChat + Transport + Chax FTW!

Slap!:p

Said it before, ichat/transport.

Like to know how many of the Adium ducks have actually tried ichat, with or without a transport.:rolleyes:

Paxton
27th February 2008, 07:22 PM
Adium here too.

I'll just add that if this becomes an iChat vs. Adium thread, it's gonskies.

Play nice peoples.

mechcon
27th February 2008, 07:23 PM
This aint intended to be which is better than thou, it's more about who uses what.

dolbinau
27th February 2008, 07:26 PM
MSN Messenger for Mac. Group convos don't work aswell in Adium.

Disko
27th February 2008, 07:43 PM
I use iChat & Adium at the same time.

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/4244/screenshotcb9.th.jpg (http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshotcb9.jpg)

mechcon
27th February 2008, 07:50 PM
I picked iChat with Transporting for the following reasons:

* video chat
* can contact anyone on any protocol pretty much
* screen sharing (which helps a lot at work, and interstate/overseas).

Jopher
27th February 2008, 08:25 PM
Anyone else here use aMSN? I cant be the only one.
I've installed Adium but have only used it 2 or 3 times because i think that I'm way too used to Windows Live Messenger for the PC. I've found aMSN is unreliable as hell and i usually don't go a session without it crashing and no matter how much i play around trying to port forward my wireless router i just can get video chats to work, but it seems to have the best features if all you're using is MSN.

I'm disparately waiting for the new version of Microsoft Messenger: Mac 7.0 which is said to support AV chats which will be great for me as a number of my friends use webcams on windows live and i want to be part of the action. Seeing as how Im on a computer THAT COMES WITH A BUILT IN WEBCAM AND MIC!

vortex_
27th February 2008, 09:22 PM
screen + irssi + bitlbee
but i'm a unix command line junkie :)

scottgrot
27th February 2008, 09:38 PM
Is there an equivalent to the old unix "talk" command where your screen was divided in two -- you'd type in the top half and it would show up in real time in the bottom half of the screen that you're talking to?

dev_enter
27th February 2008, 09:40 PM
Yep, it's called talk.

silverdreamer
27th February 2008, 10:02 PM
It seems everyone has an opinion on this one way or the other.

MSN just doesn't cut it for most people on a mac, and to me, Adium and iChat with a transport, is a compromise

iChat is built and designed by Apple for the Mac. It is based on AIM which is the largest chat client of them all, available to everyone, Mac or PC.

The solution as I see it is to convert your PC MSN/Yahoo buddies to AIM, and to convince all Mac owners to use ichat. That way you can add them directly to ichat and enjoy full functionality with all your contacts.

I know this is not something you can just do overnight, but if everyone on a Mac, where to open an ichat/aim account, and slowly convert your contacts, I think we would all end up better connected, and there's no reason you can't continue to use MSN or Adium or some other Client at the same time.

I'm not trying to make this a one versus the other thread, but to me, it's like buying a mac, then running Windows.

IChat with full functionality is heaps of fun!

mdmcholet
27th February 2008, 10:05 PM
Yahoo for chat and Skype (for voice/video chats with non mac friends/family)
and once in a while iChat

Rasta
27th February 2008, 10:05 PM
Mercury Messenger... (mind you... I've only jut downloaded an IM to use for the first time this week!)

I like I like :)

iMic
27th February 2008, 10:08 PM
Adium. I did use iChat for about a year prior to using Adium but the lack of multi-protocol support sealed the deal for me. Majority of my friends use MSN and I don't believe they should have to switch to AIM or even Mac, so being the odd one out I was the one to jump ship.

Never looked back.

Revolution
27th February 2008, 10:12 PM
Adium. So elegant and customisable. :)

krafty
27th February 2008, 10:23 PM
adium runs in the bacground for me, ichat log in is part of adium so i dont need the 2 of them going. I do use skype to chat more and when a discussion is needed we dial and talk

bubbles_r_us
28th February 2008, 04:26 PM
MSN on both PC and Mac