PDA

View Full Version : Small Quick and reliable machine

Jimbo
15th April 2004, 12:47 PM
My Employer is branching out into the live recording field and was wondering how much it would cost to get a portable computer based recording setup going, i'll give you some details

the protools 192hd card is a pci card compatible with both mac and pc
it IS possible for firewire but it would be safer with a dedicated PCI card
i need to record 32 channels of audio at once, so that means i need a big fast hard drive and tonnes of memory. if anyone knows about any small fast computers let me know, if its a mac needs to be at least 1 ghz, pc at least 1.5ghz

Cheers

pipsqeek
15th April 2004, 03:12 PM
Hey Jimbo,

With a mac I would assume anything like a G5 would be nice, but since you want a somewhat portable machine (not a laptop) I cannot think of a desktop macintosh that you would want to carry around with you. Your signature says you have an MDD mac. something like that would be okay.

As far as PC's go. Have you looked in to the BOOM! that SFF (small form factor) PC's are making this year. Shuttle X PC would be the most refined of the lot, having started to craze. But other vendors/manufacturers are bringing out models as well. They are showbox sized computers, that can handle the latest Intel or AMD chips. most have onboard video, as well as an AGP slot and PCI slot. Either one of each or 2 PCI slots. But I vaguely remember one having two PCI slots as well as an AGP slot to boot.

The cheaperst place I found which sells them here is www.pcmarket.com.au which also offer free shipping to orders over $300. Notice: I am not affiliated with them at all, I am just recommending them from what I have seens and experienced. The Shuttle X PC's are a case and motherboard with a propietary heat sink for the CPU. the rest is up to you. CPU, RAM, HDD, CD-RW, DVD, Graphics Card.

They have digital audio, not sure if its input/output or what. More then likely output only, but you will be using your own cards for all those channels you will be recording.

Hope this helps alittle...Sorry to offer more info on the PC market then Apple...I seriously cannot think of a new Apple that would resemble the Cube, which is what I would imagine would be ideal for your scenario. Unless you can get a Cube, mod the thing to 1.4Ghz, max out the ram, stick your audio stuff in it. and whallah!

Steve

mbd
16th April 2004, 07:43 AM
I seriously cannot think of a new Apple that would resemble the Cube, which is what I would imagine would be ideal for your scenario. Unless you can get a Cube, mod the thing to 1.4Ghz, max out the ram, stick your audio stuff in it. and whallah!

Except the cube doesn't have any PCI expansion slots (or PCMCIA)...

pipsqeek
16th April 2004, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the info. I am not too familiar with Mac's from 2000 to just before the G5.

Then the Shuttle X PC would have to be the best solution. It small, yet still has the power of a full tower PC. There is reasonable room for expansion for such a compact design. The fact that you can replace CPU, RAM, Video Card and PCI cards is a mean feat compared to a few years back when Eden introduced miniITX stuff. Everything was onboard, and I mean ONBOARD, the CPU was a non replacable 800Mhz unit which was soldered directly onto the motherboard. RAM was soldered on, everything was soldered on. No slots at all. onboard video.

But yeah, have a look into SFF computers. They are more expensive then most would pay for a standard case and motherboard, but you are getting something for your money. Also, there have been no reports of Shuttle X PC's dying or issues with parts, warranty etc.

Steve

Currawong
16th April 2004, 06:49 PM
This is what Powerbooks are designed for.