PDA

View Full Version : Some Bootcamp Q's

pgseye
27th February 2008, 09:04 AM
Hi,

I'm about to buy a MBP and am undecided as to whether to go solely down the VMWare Fusion path, or to use Fusion off a Bootcamp partition? I've always had a PC in the house, but am now planning on getting rid of it and just using the laptop.

I'm not into gaming, but am thinking of future-proofing my ability to use Windows. I guess a question is, can you partition your harddrive at a later time and then install Bootcamp and Windows if Fusion isn't up to a particular task?

The other thing is, what does a Fusion license buy you - upgrades for all version 1.x? Is there really much of a difference in usability from 1.1.0 to 1.1.1 - just wondering how they improved things?

Thanks

Paxton
27th February 2008, 09:09 AM
If you have the HDD Space, and a copy of Windows handy, go the BootCamp route. As long as you have Leopard, it is included in your OS (and can be used on Tiger, with some Jiggery Pokery). Just one question - what on Windows are you worried about not being able to use? I can only think of a handful of things that are still Windows only, and even then, there are some workarounds.

I have had experience with neither, however my Wife is starting to get the shakes from Windows withdrawal, as my iMac replaces both my PowerMac and her PC, I am going to go down the Bootcamp route with an External HDD powering it all. That's a job for the weekend.

Good luck,

Andrew.

~Coxy
28th February 2008, 12:47 PM
You can partition at any time if you haven't already partitioned and your disk has enough contiguous free space to do so.