PDA

View Full Version : clock problem from bootcamp

sighclops
26th February 2008, 12:37 PM
hi guys

i tried searching for this but had no luck. i never had this problem with tiger, but since using leopard, whenever i reboot mac osx (coming from windaz (windows lol) in bootcamp) the clock changes. it doesn't change the date, but it also doesn't let me change timezones, so i have to manually put the time in. every single time :@ annoying!

i'm sure its something horribly basic i've overlooked, but yeah any advice would be much appreciated ;)

cheers

leon
26th February 2008, 12:46 PM
This happens to me all of the time and I haven't found anything to fix it. The time remains stuffed up even if the option to synchronise with the asia server is selected. The only way I can fix it is to change the time manually every time.

Phase
26th February 2008, 12:48 PM
+1 for the problem here.

Infuriating beyond belief when you factor in auto-syncing with my Touch.

purana
26th February 2008, 01:05 PM
Its due to each OS storing the time differently, the fix is to make sure each OS has access to an ntp server to update itself after booting into it.

geektechnu
26th February 2008, 01:50 PM
Yep, Windows stores/reads the time as is. OSX reads the time as GMT and applies a timezone offset.

For now I just set my timezone in Windows to GMT plus/minus any daylight savings offset. Currently I'm set to "(GMT -01:00) Cape Verde Is.". This gives me the correct time.

This setting only needs to be changed a couple of times each year, and does not affect any other regional settings.

sectioneight
26th February 2008, 02:25 PM
I don't use windows enough for it to be a big issue - just going into the Date and Time in System Preferences always (for me anyway) automatically resets to the correct time

Good idea with setting a different time zone in windows :thumbup:

sendai
26th February 2008, 02:46 PM
I created a custom time-zone (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914387/) entry... I don't have my machine with me, but I can extract the .reg if someone wants it...

sighclops
26th February 2008, 04:58 PM
oh well i'm glad i'm not the only one with this problem then :) thanks for the replies so far guys, it's funny though i used windows every few days when i had tiger (for gaming) and if this problem ever occured i'd just click on the time and it would refresh...... but with leopard it "locks" itself into the timezone and even after a boot up the next day the time still seems stuffed up

sigh! might be a little unrelated, but my desktop doesn't "update" itself also? if i download a file to desktop i can see it through finder but not on the desktop itself? is my computer losing its mind?!

ahh!