PDA

View Full Version : Suffocating my brand new Macbook

Cyrus
25th February 2008, 05:46 PM
So there I was at Uni with my brand new Macbook. Finish up, shut the lid, put it in its sleeve and into my backpack.

An hour later at home, I take it out and it's very hot, the fan is running wild and when I opened it didn't come out of sleep. A moment of utter n00bishness if there ever was one.

It's all quiet now again, no problems, but I was just wondering whether any permanent damage may have occurred, and if there's any way to properly store my Macbook in my bag without having to shut it down?

decryption
25th February 2008, 05:48 PM
So there I was at Uni with my brand new Macbook. Finish up, shut the lid, put it in its sleeve and into my backpack.

An hour later at home, I take it out and it's very hot, the fan is running wild and when I opened it didn't come out of sleep. A moment of utter n00bishness if there ever was one.

It's all quiet now again, no problems, but I was just wondering whether any permanent damage may have occurred, and if there's any way to properly store my Macbook in my bag without having to shut it down?

This happens to me sometimes too. No idea how to prevent it. Here's some piece of mind though, the CPU will shut itself down if it gets too hot, so it doesn't damage itself :)

LCGuy
25th February 2008, 05:51 PM
Yeah, mine does that as well, hence, now, before I pack it away I always check that the sleep light is pulsating, that way I know its definately in sleep mode :)

Lutze
The sleep from closing the Macbooks seems to take a tad longer than the old iBooks etc. I've noticed it on this one a couple of times.

Try closing it and waiting a few moments - make sure the lights go out before packing it up. I've noticed that it's not happened much, if at all, since I started doing this.

thorevenge
Did you have a USB device plugged in before you put it to sleep?

anarchron
25th February 2008, 05:53 PM
If anything goes wrong, will that be covered under AppleCare?

Huy
25th February 2008, 05:53 PM
When you close your lid, MAKE SURE that the MacBook goes into sleep mode - you can check by looking at the sleep indicator light. It should be "breathing" (on and off, on and off...).

The reason it is very hot is, I assume, because it never went into sleep and was just active (awake) the entire time in your bag. Then the fans go off/it gets really hot. This can quickly drain your battery.

The same thing when you shut down - make sure that it actually shuts down, BEFORE you close the lid - sometimes closing the lid too quickly will mean that the shutdown process is halted and you're left with a MacBook you think is off, but is really on! (This again drains battery, makes fans run wild, generates heat etc).

When sleeping: Close lid, watch for the light to go on and off - if it's ON all the time, it hasn't slept yet.

When shutting down: Shut down, close lid ONLY after the screen cuts out, and after a few seconds to be safe - make sure that when the lid closes, the sleep indicator light does NOT turn back on.

My 2c and tips, for when I owned a MacBook. :)

paulharrop
25th February 2008, 06:05 PM
Yeah, mine does that as well, hence, now, before I pack it away I always check that the sleep light is pulsating, that way I know its definately in sleep mode :)

A pedantic point for something I often see in chatrooms and forums etc.

Definitely is spelt DEFINITELY not Definately.

OMG! I've been a teacher too long!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

mjankor
25th February 2008, 07:47 PM
My hunch is that if you close the lid and chuck it in a laptop bag before it goes to sleep then the hard drive shock sensor might prevent the hard drive from spinning. This prevents it from finishing the backing up of memory to the hard disk and the machine goes stupid.

scokim
25th February 2008, 08:05 PM
A pedantic point for something I often see in chatrooms and forums etc.

Definitely is spelt DEFINITELY not Definately.

OMG! I've been a teacher too long!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

annoys me when i see "it's" instead of "its" and 'there' instead of 'their'
:eek:

STK
25th February 2008, 08:12 PM
May of something to do with it but if i shut my mbp lid and move it around fast (like from lap into bag) before it fully sleeps I open the lid later on and it's rebooted (to stop the HD ruining itself from the movement?*read this somewhere*). During this time it's won't sleep itself even after reboot....

Brains
25th February 2008, 10:43 PM
Closing the lid to sleep is intended for short trips, like from the bedroom to the loungeroom.

If you want to sleep the machine for an extended trip (home to ofice, or it's going to live in the backpack over lunch between lectures) get into the habit of doing manual sleep -- use the Sleep command from the Apple menu, and wait for the light to begin pulsing before you close the lid.

Sleep is not instantaneous -- your machine will want to properly close down I/O devices and flush the contents of active & wired RAM to the hard drive, and this can take 10 seconds to a minute and a half, depending on the state of your machine and how long and how many various apps have been open. The comments about the SMS (Sudden Motion Sensor) causing the 'Book to fail entering sleep is correct -- a sudden shock (say, when you pick it up and think it has gone dormant) during the flush-to-disk routine will abort the write, and this aborts the sleep.

PS: Common mis-spellings annoy the crud out of me, but even i have the occasional slip-up. Did you know that nearly 15% of Australian university graduates are technically illiterate? Twenty five percent of our population read less than one book a year, yet less than 0.2% of Australian homes don't have a television set, with many having more than one.

PPS: My pet hate mis-spelled word is "disoriented". I see and hear "disorientated" all the time (except on ABC News Radio) and I grimace every time I hear it! ARGH!

Keving
25th February 2008, 10:49 PM
IS it actually safe to sleep a MBP and stick it in your bag for hours? Wouldn't it be smarter to just shut it down fully?

Currawong
25th February 2008, 11:47 PM
Perfectly safe as far as I know. I've been doing it for years. Make sure that the front light is pulsating (indicated sleep) first though.

Keving
25th February 2008, 11:50 PM
Perfectly safe as far as I know. I've been doing it for years. Make sure that the front light is pulsating (indicated sleep) first though.

So i've been shutting down my MBP for the past year without really needing to? :P Awesome!

xfodder
26th February 2008, 12:19 AM
Closing the lid to sleep is intended for short trips, like from the bedroom to the loungeroom.

If you want to sleep the machine for an extended trip (home to ofice, or it's going to live in the backpack over lunch between lectures) get into the habit of doing manual sleep -- use the Sleep command from the Apple menu, and wait for the light to begin pulsing before you close the lid.

Sleep is not instantaneous -- your machine will want to properly close down I/O devices and flush the contents of active & wired RAM to the hard drive, and this can take 10 seconds to a minute and a half, depending on the state of your machine and how long and how many various apps have been open. The comments about the SMS (Sudden Motion Sensor) causing the 'Book to fail entering sleep is correct -- a sudden shock (say, when you pick it up and think it has gone dormant) during the flush-to-disk routine will abort the write, and this aborts the sleep.

PS: Common mis-spellings annoy the crud out of me, but even i have the occasional slip-up. Did you know that nearly 15% of Australian university graduates are technically illiterate? Twenty five percent of our population read less than one book a year, yet less than 0.2% of Australian homes don't have a television set, with many having more than one.

PPS: My pet hate mis-spelled word is "disoriented". I see and hear "disorientated" all the time (except on ABC News Radio) and I grimace every time I hear it! ARGH!

that's why his name is brains ... he is the encyclopaedia of mactalk

Brains
26th February 2008, 12:41 AM
IS it actually safe to sleep a MBP and stick it in your bag for hours? Wouldn't it be smarter to just shut it down fully?

Curra's right, as long as the machine is properly asleep, it can remain that way for hours, days even (or indefinitely if you use 'safe sleep') ... but some machines, if they travel in something that bounces & jostles a lot (like a backpack or the boot of a car) then there is the slight chance that a bump will make the lid part just enough to trip the sensor into thinking the machine was being opened.

If you're paranoid, there's nothing wrong with a shut-down, and in some instances it is recommended. Sleep is just for impatient souls who don't want to go make a cup of tea whilst their machine boots, that's all :p

B.

vortex_
26th February 2008, 06:01 AM
Sleeping is one the main reasons I only buy Apple laptops now! :)

MrJesseRoss
26th February 2008, 08:15 AM
I didn't realise there was a difference between sending the Macbook to sleep by closing the lid, and doing it by the sleep command in the menu. As someone who'll be carrying their macbook around and treating it like a newborn kitten out of pure fear of damage, this is very informative indeed!

Brains
26th February 2008, 08:47 AM
There really isn't a difference - manual sleep and lid-close sleep do exactly the same things, and they both take time. Where people experience problems is when they pick up or jostle the machine before it is truly asleep. Wait for the power-light to "snore" before picking it up.

Don't you hate it when you've just about fallen asleep of a night when you get rudely awakened by a loud noise or a knee to the kidney from a bed-tossing partner? Your laptop is no different :p

GraphicDZNR
26th February 2008, 08:57 AM

I have arguments with family and friends over this word! EVERY FREAKING PERSON says disorientated! Gives me the shits royally!

Brains
26th February 2008, 09:37 AM
Correct usage:

disorient: verb, -ted, -ting. To cause (someone) to lose their sense of direction or feel confused. (source: Concise Oxford English Dictionary 2007)

Incorrect usage:

disorientate: {N. Am. coll.} verb (used with object), -tated, -tating. To disorient. (source: Random House Unabridged Dictionary 2006)

(Note for the semi-literate: 'N. Am.' means the word is unique to the North American vocabulary, and 'coll.' stands for 'colloquial' meaning "characteristic of or appropriate to ordinary or familiar conversation rather than formal speech or writing; informal." That is, it is a common but unofficial word.)

Brains

halledise
26th February 2008, 09:40 AM
command + option + 'eject' and your Mac will instantly begin to sleep like a baby - hard disc will spin down very soon thereafter (30 seconds max)

the current MB's do take quite a lot longer to spin down than early MB's and PowerBooks - closng the lid will have the complete sleep effect within a minute so slamming it shut and placing in the back pack should not produce the result aforementioned

you may need to reset the power management (PMU)

I rarely, if ever, shut my MB down - unplugged there is precious little battery seepage even on a 6 hr trip from here to Sydney - get it out, wake it up and away we go; still 90%-95% charge.

halledise
26th February 2008, 09:41 AM
I have arguments with family and friends over this word! EVERY FREAKING PERSON says disorientated! Gives me the shits royally!

from Apple's own dick-shun-airy

disorientate |disˈôrēənˌtāt|
verb
another term for disorient

go figure ....................

LCGuy
26th February 2008, 10:26 AM
My bug-bear is the word "Data"! I pronounce it "Dah-ta", personally, whereas Dad says "Day-ta", which drives me up the wall!

PAddLePoP
26th February 2008, 11:17 AM
So just some more information to add to the mix.

Intel Macs take longer to sleep because they 'safe sleep', when you close the lid/select sleep the display turns off but the contents of the memory are written to the hard disk incase of loss of power (switching batteries for example).

It is important that you do not move you portable while it is in this mode (after you put to sleep but before the Sleep Indicator is pulsing), you will know it is in this mode if the SIL (sleep indicator) is solid, not pulsing.

When in this mode the sudden motion sensor does not operate and you could easily damage your hard disk.

halledise
26th February 2008, 11:33 AM
My bug-bear is the word "Data"! I pronounce it "Dah-ta", personally, whereas Dad says "Day-ta", which drives me up the wall!

it is indeed Dah-ta and Dah-tum

unless of course one is from the US in which case it's Date-a and Date-um

clark and not clerk - etc.
here's some trivia -

there was a song (many years before my time) of a guy and his girl arguing about this very thing:

originally by George Gershwin in the 30's, Louis Armstrong made it famous in the 50's or 60's ?

Verse
Things have come to a pretty pass
Our romance is growing flat,
For you like this and the other
While I go for this and that,
Goodness knows what the end will be
Oh I don't know where I'm at
It looks as if we two will never be one
Something must be done:

Chorus - 1
You say either and I say either, You say neither and I say neither
Either, either Neither, neither, Let's call the whole thing off.

You like potato and I like potahto, You like tomato and I like tomahto
Potato, potahto, Tomato, tomahto, Let's call the whole thing off

But oh, if we call the whole thing off Then we must part
And oh, if we ever part, then that might break my heart

So if you like pyjamas and I like pyjahmas, I'll wear pyjamas and give up
pyajahmas
For we know we need each other so we , Better call the whole off off
Let's call the whole thing off.

Chorus - 2
You say laughter and I say larfter, You say after and I say arfter
Laughter, larfter after arfter, Let's call the whole thing off,

You like vanilla and I like vanella, You saspiralla, and I saspirella
Vanilla vanella chocolate strawberry, Let's call the whole thing off

But oh if we call the whole thing of then we must part
And oh, if we ever part, then that might break my heart

So if you go for oysters and I go for ersters, I'll order oysters and cancel
the ersters
For we know we need each other so we, Better call the calling off off,

Chorus - 3
I say father, and you say pater, I saw mother and you say mater
Pater, mater Uncle, auntie, let's call the whole thing off.

I like bananas and you like banahnahs, I say Havana and I get Havahnah
Bananas, banahnahs Havana, Havahnah, Go your way, I'll go mine

So if I go for scallops and you go for lobsters, So all right no contest we'll
order lobseter
For we know we need each other so we, Better call the calling off off,

tintinaujapon
26th February 2008, 12:02 PM
On these forums it's 'loose' being used instead of 'lose' which really captures my attention every time.

zmit
26th February 2008, 11:54 PM
back to suffocation....

i regularly put my macbook to sleep, stuff it in its sleeve and its quite happy to stay that way for many hours. never had a problem with it!