PDA

View Full Version : I bought a new Mac today

sillydog701
14th April 2004, 11:58 PM
Okay, the Mac I bought is a late model, discontinued after the release of G5, but it's brand new.

Dual 1.42GHz, Superdrive, 120GB HDD, Radeon 9000 Pro, and upgraded to 2GB RAM.

I guess I can still use the term "fastest" as in...
The most powerful and the fastest G4 Apple has ever made.

Okay, I am excited.
Now, copying files from my slow G4 (400) to this one.

Sorry for the blurb.

Disko
15th April 2004, 12:11 AM
Congrats, sillydog. Very happy for you. :)

I'm looking forward to some desktop powermac action myself in the coming weeks.

kim jong il
16th April 2004, 04:20 PM
You bastard. I am officially jealous. Not just you SD, but all of you with these flash new machines. I am getting sick of seeing the CPU usage guage being maxed for hours on end with mine

Cry, sob.........

pipsqeek
16th April 2004, 05:50 PM
Cry :D

LCGuy
17th April 2004, 02:47 PM
I'm sick of not being able to have my iMac at uni and having to deal with Windohze. This means i am also jealous of those who have a speedy new Mac on their desk that they can use every day.

Ah well, one day i will once again join the ranks of those lucky b@$tards....

Gothikon
17th April 2004, 08:11 PM
LCGuy, why not? Does the Uni not allow Macs or something?

elvis
17th April 2004, 11:01 PM
Most AU unis these days have been lured in by the stupidly cheap educational discounts that Dell now give out. UQ here in Qld gets close to 50% off retail prices, depending on what gear it is. Apple's EDU discounts don't come close to that, and unfortunately most IT departments these days are run by beancounters and not people who actually have a clue.

That statement goes for msot IT departments, and is in no way limited to education. Hence why I'm getting my arse well and truly out of the corporate game and into some consulting instead. There's nothing more liberating than being able to make a recommendation to a client, and if they disagree you can just drop the contract. Typically speaking 3 months later when their operation turns to shit because they didn't take your advice, you get the job on your terms anyway, which is always a laugh.

"Oh really, your server crashed and you don't have any backups because you wanted to save money? Gee.. now if you'd only taken my advice last quarter and bought a tape backup unit from me..."

:D

decryption
18th April 2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by elvis@Apr 18 2004, 12:01 AM
Most AU unis these days have been lured in by the stupidly cheap educational discounts that Dell now give out. UQ here in Qld gets close to 50% off retail prices, depending on what gear it is. Apple's EDU discounts don't come close to that, and unfortunately most IT departments these days are run by beancounters and not people who actually have a clue.

That statement goes for msot IT departments, and is in no way limited to education. Hence why I'm getting my arse well and truly out of the corporate game and into some consulting instead. There's nothing more liberating than being able to make a recommendation to a client, and if they disagree you can just drop the contract. Typically speaking 3 months later when their operation turns to shit because they didn't take your advice, you get the job on your terms anyway, which is always a laugh.

"Oh really, your server crashed and you don't have any backups because you wanted to save money? Gee.. now if you'd only taken my advice last quarter and bought a tape backup unit from me..."

:D
Yep, down at Swinburne and RMIT (the two universities I have attended), they get a huge discount on Microsoft software and HP hardware. The only non Wintel stuff in the place are in the server rooms (Linux/BSD gear) and the visual art/graphics departments (Macintosh). Though, at Swinburne, they use XServes as their network storage:
http://www.apple.com.au/pr/casestudies/2004/04/swinburne/ :)

And please elvis, tell me that anecdote is a joke, not a quote :P

Currawong
18th April 2004, 12:17 PM
That anecdote is very likely correct. Dell buy and assemble the cheapest parts possible. Because they sell in massive quantities (10,000 per order for companies often), they can make bugger-all margin on the machines and still make a profit.

LCGuy
18th April 2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Gothikon@Apr 17 2004, 08:11 PM
LCGuy, why not? Does the Uni not allow Macs or something?
Of course they allow Macs, but for some of the classes that i do, i need to use Windohze apps, and there is no way in hell i would degrade myself to having to....*pukes*....regularly use an.....an....i cannot say this....reguarly....use.......an....*puke, cough, sputter*.....IPEX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!! :o :unsure: :blink:

sillydog701
18th April 2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by LCGuy@Apr 18 2004, 02:13 PM
Of course they allow Macs, but for some of the classes that i do, i need to use Windohze apps, and there is no way in hell i would degrade myself to having to....
Run Windows under Virtual PC, just like me.

LCGuy
18th April 2004, 09:08 PM
I haven't got the patience required for VPC....

Jimbo
18th April 2004, 10:48 PM
nah LC ipex is the bomb! and what do you mean ou don't have the patience for virtual pc, it simulates a pc flawlessly, slow, un-reliable, old, it's not connectix, man its micro$oft

LCGuy
19th April 2004, 06:27 AM
Very funny. :P

icant
23rd April 2004, 02:59 AM
Speaking of VPC:

VPC 6 running Win 2000 on a 1.25 GHz G4 with 768MB of RAM is slower than it was on VPC 2 (or 3) running Win 98 on a Wallstreet.

Something funny must have happened. I blame either OS X or Windows 2000 and above. I used to actually be quite proud of being able to launch Windows on my Mac, to show off. Now, there's nothing to show off.

Meanwhile, Microsoft of all people release Remote Desktop Connection for free!!! That's a great piece of software. Can't copy/paste, or copy files directly though (there are workarounds). But still very useful.