PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air, love it, just one question....

LevMac
25th February 2008, 01:17 PM
Hi guys :) I have been reading these forums for quite some time now and I have purchased my very first mac so I thought I would also sign up to join the MacTalk crew :) The Macbook Air is a great little notebook, the only problem im having is sharing the CD/DVD drive in my Toshiba from my Macbook Air...

I did install Mac OSX Install Disc 1 on my Toshiba and enabled the option for disc sharing, in my finder window on my Macbook Air, the Toshiba does show and the Disc shows up as well with the right disc name and everything, but when I click on it to install it thinks and thinks and comes up with the message "The operation cannot be completed because the original item for "[cd/dvd name]" cannot be found. "

Yes I have disabled my firewall settings on my Toshiba just to make sure, but nothing seems to be happening....

Have rung AppleCare and the guy I spoke to didn't even know what Remote Disc was :rolleyes:

Huy
25th February 2008, 01:31 PM
Hope this helps:

MacBook Air: How to use Remote Disc to share DVDs or CDs on a Mac or Windows-based computer
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307317

LevMac
25th February 2008, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the reply Huy :) I have followed those instructions step by step, yet to no avail :( Firewall settings on the PC have definately been disabled and CD/DVD Sharing is enabled and yes I have tried different discs, having no luck :(

TheWatchman
25th February 2008, 02:06 PM
security settings on the wireless router maybe?

i think remote disk requires it to be a certain setting, could be wrong.

thorevenge
25th February 2008, 02:07 PM
As a general rule I found that firewalls are often 'off' but the helpful people who write firewall software think people are idiots and the system process remains active.

I suggest rebooting after disabling, or even uninstalling firewall software if you haven't done that.

Silver
25th February 2008, 02:14 PM
If you're trying to reinstall MacOS X, you need to use the RemoteInstall Assistant on the PC. The assistant guides you through the steps to reinstall the OS.

I've done this. It's slow, but it works great.

LevMac
25th February 2008, 02:38 PM
Appreciate all the replies, thanks. The guy at AppleCare didn't know what he was talking about, funnily enough I ended up getting it to work 2 nights ago to install Microsoft Office 2008 and it installed it from my Toshiba DVD drive remotely, I have not touched any setting on the router or on the Toshiba since, and now its not working :confused:

Tried the same disc as well...still no luck, it picks up the data and you can see the disc and what the disc is called, but when you go to double click to explore whats on the disc, nothing comes up. My toshiba needs a restore anyway, so im re-installing windows on it and ill see how that goes...

Huy
25th February 2008, 02:44 PM
If all else fails, how about this?

Make an image of your disc on the PC.
Copy that image to a USB stick or USB external hard drive.
Copy/Mount it onto your Mac.
Install. :)

LevMac
25th February 2008, 03:14 PM
If all else fails, how about this?

Make an image of your disc on the PC.
Copy that image to a USB stick or USB external hard drive.
Copy/Mount it onto your Mac.
Install. :)

Yeah thats a good idea Huy, since I ended up getting an 8GB Usb drive as well yesterday :) But I still want to use it as a remote disc and since I ended up getting it to work the other night, its bugging my mind up and I want it to work ! Haha :)

InfiniteAnthony
25th February 2008, 03:19 PM
I am having trouble getting my Adobe CS3 Web Premium disc reading from my Tiger G5 Tower. It connects and shows the disc but can't load the contents. Kinda frustrating...

LevMac
25th February 2008, 03:23 PM
I am having trouble getting my Adobe CS3 Web Premium disc reading from my Tiger G5 Tower. It connects and shows the disc but can't load the contents. Kinda frustrating...

That is exactly what im experiencing Anthony, it connects and finds the disc and you can see the disc name and then when you go to double click it to show the contents, it waits and waits and waits, and then comes up with an error....

InfiniteAnthony
25th February 2008, 04:29 PM
Hmm I wonder if its something on the Macbook Air rather than the other computers

LevMac
25th February 2008, 04:34 PM
Hmm I wonder if its something on the Macbook Air rather than the other computers

The Apple support website states to just install the OSX Disc 1 onto the machine with the CD/DVD drive your wanting to share, and to make sure that you Enable sharing, in which I have done on my Windows based Toshiba laptop.

I have just done a full clean install of windows and yet still no luck at all, firewall has been disabled and there is nothing blocking the use of the drive itself, it still shows in my Finder window on my Macbook Air and I can see the disc name, just doesnt show what files are on the disc :(

InfiniteAnthony
25th February 2008, 07:28 PM
Yeah I have had no luck on getting it to work for me. I am searching the social bookmarking sites for anything useful

InfiniteAnthony
25th February 2008, 07:50 PM
Ok I have got it working with my Vista workstation at home with no problems, install and it just worked, it must be some firewall issue, none of my macs work but the PC does.

LevMac
25th February 2008, 08:01 PM
Hey Anthony, great to hear you got it working mate, ive seriously spent all day long trying to get it work on my Toshiba laptop which is running Windows XP and cannot get it working !! :(

As I said ive had it working 2 nights ago in which I was enable to install Office for Mac and it worked fine, now its not and I haven't even touched anything :(

Help us out here please :)

jrad
25th February 2008, 08:36 PM
New user? What is this, a forum for new users and questions? GET OUT! :mad:

/joke! Honest, I'm kidding. Welcome Levo :p

That's really odd, hey. Anthony, do you have an Apple Airport or another branded router? I think this goes to show that maybe the USB Superdrive isn't such a bad idea...

LevMac
25th February 2008, 08:53 PM
Hey JazzDog :p Thanks for the welcome

Yeah I wouldn't mind getting the USB Superdrive, but if Apple states that you can use the remote disc feature with a PC or Mac then I would like for it to work !! Im not gonna give up on this, especially since it has worked the other night when I managed to install software from my PC to the Macbook Air....

choy
25th February 2008, 11:55 PM
just in case you decide to throw in the towel (i'm all for the path of least resistance!) here is a nice cheap option:

http://usb.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.php?prod_id=00429

LevMac
26th February 2008, 09:51 AM
Thanks Choy, I was thinking of getting the USB Superdrive from Apple for the MBA, but I really would like to get this Remote Disc working as its bugging the hell out of me !!

Anthony, would you please outline exactly what you did to get your Remote Disc working from your MBA to your Windows based machine ?? Step by step please ! :)

jrad
26th February 2008, 10:49 AM
By the sounds of it he just installed it and it rolled...

Hey, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software on the Toshiba?

LevMac
26th February 2008, 11:02 AM
Jazzdog, yes I actually restored the whole operating system on the Toshiba as it was getting a bit sluggish, i just backed everything up and reloaded windows XP Service Pack 2....

I have tried another Macbook Air today at a store with their wireless network and on a Toshiba Machine running Vista Home Premium, and it worked fine.......

InfiniteAnthony
26th February 2008, 03:48 PM
Well update, I use Linksys WAP200 access points in both the office and at home.

I am back to square one, I had it reading from my Vista workstation but it wouldn't actually install. It times out and says device is not available. I am still searching to see if anyone else is having similar problems.

LevMac
26th February 2008, 05:27 PM
I am having the same problem Anthony, my MBA see's the disc in my Windows machines drive, but when I go to double click and open the disc, it thinks and thinks and then comes up with an error saying something along the lines of original item for "[disc name]" could not be found.....

Im really getting frustrated over it, as Remote Disc worked for me when I installed Office for Mac, but now its not working at all and I havent changed anything ! :mad:

AppleCare are no help as when I rang them they simply read the Apple Support page outlining the steps involved, in which I have read myself...

LevMac
27th February 2008, 12:46 PM
Ok, well its definately not my Macbook Air, as I took it into a store today to try it with their wireless and remote disc, put a DVD into a Toshiba notebook running Vista, installed the Remote Disc software into the Toshiba, enabled cd/dvd sharing, and my Macbook Air picked it up and displayed all the files on the DVD from the Toshiba, it must be a XP thing or something to do with my network at home....

InfiniteAnthony
28th February 2008, 07:27 AM
Interesting... It might be a firewall issue on the host computer.

InfiniteAnthony
28th February 2008, 07:37 AM
Found the problem! It is my linksys ADSL Gateway with the Firewall on, I turn the firewall off and restart the MBA and it works perfectly. That is pretty poor form on the Linksys front as my network is private IP and it must be blocking internal connections.

markpalavra
7th August 2008, 10:37 PM
I did a clean install on my Air last night, using remote disc.

It worked perfect, only thing that stuffed up was I couldn't connect to my wireless network with a password. So temporarily removed the security on my wireless network, and it went without a hitch.

After reading an article on Arstecnica where it took a guy 5.5 hours (with a N router) I was a little apprehensive using my G router.

I was pleasantly surprised when it took approx 1hr 20min from wo-to-go. Granted I did deselect EVERYTHING except iPhoto, iWeb and CPU help files.

Reubania
7th August 2008, 10:49 PM
Ok I have got it working with my Vista workstation at home with no problems, install and it just worked, it must be some firewall issue, none of my macs work but the PC does.

BINGO! This happened to me. I cannot believe that it would not work on my MB to my MBA, on the same network, updated software and legit Apple products (wanted to install iWorks 08).

Last resort, I went home to my parent's place, loaded the DVD or CD sharing installation disc onto XP and everything worked. AS IT SHOULD. Unbelievable. :mad: