PDA

View Full Version : Should i use IMAP instead of POP?

prince
25th February 2008, 10:16 AM
I have been using POP for a long time now using my Macbook Pro, but if i'm at uni and access my gmail inbox via a web browser, none of my past emails are there, is this the main reason why people use IMAP instead of POP?

I tried IMAP once but it was quite slow...

Comet
25th February 2008, 10:21 AM
I have been using POP for a long time now using my Macbook Pro, but if i'm at uni and access my gmail inbox via a web browser, none of my past emails are there, is this the main reason why people use IMAP instead of POP?

I tried IMAP once but it was quite slow...

Depends on your setting. If you have POP settings set so that it will delete the server copy once you download the mail, then you won't see it on the web interface. You can easily change that so that there is a server copy left.

IMAP is good because whatever you change on your current screen will be reflected elsewhere. Not sure why it was slow for you. Give it another go. Theres a reason why people are shifting to IMAP.

Lutze
25th February 2008, 10:22 AM
Hey Prince,

You can set POP3 in the mail client you use (Mail for example) to not remove emails from the server. This would leave them available through the web browser still. There is the downside that you then have to go into the web browser to free up space - however with gmail, I doubt it's much of a problem.

Hope this helps.

dev_enter
25th February 2008, 10:28 AM
Use IMAP.

Silver
25th February 2008, 11:41 AM
I recently upgraded my server to support SSL IMAP in order to have my mail on my laptop, desktop and iPod Touch.

benmcgruer
25th February 2008, 12:02 PM
If you access your mail with more than one client, then use IMAP.

prince
25th February 2008, 12:41 PM
because i've got my POP acct set up in Mail, can i add the IMAP acct, and transfer all the mail into the IMAP acct?

forgie
25th February 2008, 01:08 PM
Is IMAP inherently really slow, or is it just Gmail IMAP? I have a very fast net connection (10Mbps+), but Gmail through Mail.app is an order of magnitude slower on IMAP than it is on POP.

forgie
25th February 2008, 01:12 PM
I recently upgraded my server to support SSL IMAP in order to have my mail on my laptop, desktop and iPod Touch.
Do you have your own mail server?

Silver
25th February 2008, 02:26 PM
Do you have your own mail server?

Yes. All incoming mail for my family ends up there. All outgoing mail is routed through my ISP. I use a custom build of Postfix and Courier-IMAP for all our e-mail.

For a long time I didn't use IMAP because the server only had a 40 MB hard disk, and there just wouldn't have been space to save them. I've since been through two upgrades (now a Mac Mini), and have the space, but inertia prevented me from using anything but POP. Now with multiple clients, I shifted to IMAP. It was surprisingly easy to set up.

I do find IMAP to be slightly slower, even on my LAN, but not terribly so, when you factor in the convenience. Some of that may be Mail.app as well. It also creates a large number of connections with the host, which tends to get overwhelmed if I check my e-mail too often. (I haven't found the right balance for number of allowed connections yet).

I started archiving old e-mail recently, because there was too much to comfortably search through.

It is pretty straight forward to shift e-mail from one kind of mail box to another in Mail.app, and presumably other clients as well. This is what I did when I shifted to IMAP from POP a few weeks ago.

griffmiester
25th February 2008, 02:51 PM
because i've got my POP acct set up in Mail, can i add the IMAP acct, and transfer all the mail into the IMAP acct?

If you create a IMAP account in Mail.app you can then just drag/drop all the email's from your POP3 account into the IMAP account.

It's 2-way communication with the server. eg if you were using a POP3 account and tried draging an old email you had stored on your HDD into the account, you'd only see it on your computer. If you did the same thing with an IMAP account, it would copy the email back to the server, and then also it would be copied onto any other computers that were also connected to that IMAP Account.

You can sync multiple computers with the same email account. eg, if you are at work and delete one of your email's, it means that any other computers you have syncing with that email account will show the same.

I genereally haven't had issues with IMAP being slow (using it for 2 diff gmail & 3 work related accounts on 3 computers (2mac+1pc)). The only time it is slow is when it's having to sync the mail locally with gmail's server if I have a large number of email's that haven't been synced.

I hope that made sense.

forgie
25th February 2008, 03:33 PM
I genereally haven't had issues with IMAP being slow (using it for 2 diff gmail & 3 work related accounts on 3 computers (2mac+1pc)). The only time it is slow is when it's having to sync the mail locally with gmail's server if I have a large number of email's that haven't been synced.

I hope that made sense.
I think that's my problem - I'm on a bunch of mailing lists, and get somewhere between 500-1000 emails a day. I use Mail.app to filter them out of my IMAP account as soon as I get them, but it still seems to slow things down a lot.

esm
17th March 2008, 10:55 AM
i use a gmail account with entourage, anyone has tried converting it into an imap account?

gameon
17th March 2008, 11:10 AM
i have a mac mini, macbook, imac & ipod touch all perfectly syncronised because of an imap account

if you are running multiple macs .mac is worth it

nard
17th March 2008, 11:13 AM
if you are running multiple macs .mac is worth it

I agree but one doesn't need .mac to take advantage of IMAP synchronisation.

Mac Ram
17th March 2008, 11:14 AM
i use a gmail account with entourage, anyone has tried converting it into an imap account?

Try these instructions.

Connect Entourage 2004 to Gmail’s IMAP service (The Entourage Help Blog) (http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2007/11/connect_entourage_2004_to_gmails_imap_service.html )

gameon
17th March 2008, 11:16 AM
I agree but one doesn't need .mac to take advantage of IMAP synchronisation.

not at all
should have added that in

richbowen
17th March 2008, 11:30 AM

Yes, when I moved from Entourage to Mail.app.

Can't remember the process in detail but it wasn't too hard. From memory I set up Mail.app (with dotmac for IMAP). Then I exported the Entourage emails I wanted and imported them into Mail.app. I ended up with an "Imported Mail" folder on Mail.app that had the same folder structure as the Entourage source. At first I thought was annoying and started setting up new folders in Mail and moving the Entourage folders into those new folders, but I didn't finish the job and it's no problem at all. Both Mail.app and Spotlight search the "Entourage" folders in Mail.app so I can always find those emails.