PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Movie Artwork

grfxninja
24th February 2008, 11:58 PM
Over the past few weeks, I have been converting my DVD collection with Handbrake in anticipaction of getting an AppleTV.
I am about 3/4 of the way through, and thought I would start adding the DVD cover or Poster (depending on what I could find online - I don't have a scanner at home) but the artwork doesn't seem to "stick"
What I have been doing is a "get info" on the movie, and adding artwork, but as soon as I click OK, the artwork isn't showing up in the preview panel in iTunes and when I click on get info again, the artwork is gone from the artwork pane of Get Info.

Any ideas? It's driving me nuts!

On a side note, I got the Apple TV last week, and I am loving it! I just got the 40GB model as I am only streaming the movies through iTunes off a 500GB network drive, and it works flawlessly.
I was hoping to be able to browse movies by Genre (with the Apple TV update) but unfortunately I am not able to, though it may be because I am streaming and not storing the movies locally.

xfodder
25th February 2008, 01:06 AM
i think the artwork is actually what iTunes calls a 'Poster Frame' for movies i don't know if you can add artwork to movies, im not sure.

Crackers
25th February 2008, 01:25 AM
Can I suggest you use MetaX (http://www.kerstetter.net/)

You can tag up all your movies and add the artwork thru it. It also will search the net for you looking for all the info to tag up the movie.

grfxninja
25th February 2008, 06:49 PM
Can I suggest you use MetaX (http://www.kerstetter.net/)

You can tag up all your movies and add the artwork thru it. It also will search the net for you looking for all the info to tag up the movie.

Thanks Crackers, works a treat, albeit a bit slowly over wireless to the networked hard drive where I store all the iTunes content

astr0b0y
25th February 2008, 06:54 PM
grfxninja, can I ask what sort of wireless setup you are using? What wireless router do you have? What type of file are you converting your DVDs to and what bit rate typically?

I have been experimenting with streaming using UPnP to a media renderer, but browsing is very unreliable and streaming breaks up alot.

james the 2nd
25th February 2008, 06:55 PM
Question for you Ninja,

With the apple TV, can you store movies on the apple TV and then remove them from your computer but still keep them on the apple TV, in effect to build a library on the apple TV?

(Sorry to hijack your thread)

btw, I find most of my covers at:
www.cdcovers.cc

grfxninja
25th February 2008, 08:31 PM
grfxninja, can I ask what sort of wireless setup you are using? What wireless router do you have? What type of file are you converting your DVDs to and what bit rate typically?

I have been experimenting with streaming using UPnP to a media renderer, but browsing is very unreliable and streaming breaks up alot.

I am using an Airport Extreme setup to just use the 'N' spec.
I have been converting my DVD's with Handbrake mostly (the latest version has been updated for AppleTV v2) using the AppleTV setting but dropping the bitrate to 1500. That seems to be the middle ground for quality/file size for me. Typical file size for most of the movies is between 1.5 - 2GB

(Sorry to hijack your thread)
No problem ;)

With the apple TV, can you store movies on the apple TV and then remove them from your computer but still keep them on the apple TV, in effect to build a library on the apple TV?
I don't think so (though I'm not sure). As far as I can tell it works just like an iPod does, so when you remove a song from your iTunes library, the next time you sync the iPod it deletes the song from the iPod.
Though there are hacks for iPods, so I imagine someone may know how to get around this.

btw, I find most of my covers at:
www.cdcovers.cc
Yeah this is a good source for covers if MetaX doesn't find it

astr0b0y
25th February 2008, 08:33 PM
Ta...