PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Air - nuclear burns to legs!

Rasta
24th February 2008, 08:46 PM
Ok, so the topic is a little dramatic.. but does anyone else who has a MBA have a set of thighs that look like you've been roasting them in the sun for the last three months?

I haven't done any temp testing, but I'm amazed at how hot this little thing gets (particularly on the back right hand side).

Thoughts? Anyone else installing some thermal batts in their shorts? :)

anarchron
24th February 2008, 08:51 PM
Surprisingly, it's the powersource which is the warmest not the CPU on my Air.

I'm however quite tempted to take apart my air and reapply the thermal grease on my CPU.

OziMac
24th February 2008, 08:56 PM
Sorry, my KFC'd legs (after years of abuse from Powerbooks and MBPs) can't even feel my MBA. This is nothing in comparison to what we're used to.

Then again they're called 'notebooks' and not 'laptops' for a reason. ;)

Geoff3DMN
24th February 2008, 08:56 PM
It does get a little warm... but I don't find it an issue when I'm wearing pants.

Do you often use your macbook air without pants? :eek:

geektechnu
24th February 2008, 09:22 PM
Do you often use your macbook air without pants? :eek:
You mean there's another way?!? :D

InfiniteAnthony
24th February 2008, 09:32 PM
Yeah the MBA runs very cool compared the Powerbook of the past

Rasta
24th February 2008, 09:40 PM
I'll put a "Figuratively Speaking" at the start of the post for those that take all things literally.

Ok.. apart from my legs, my dining table is close to combusting and my desk has scorch marks...

The point being, I honestly think my MBA runs hotter than my iBook, and hotter than any other notebook/laptop/portable (for the literal ones of you out there :p) that I've ever had.

forgie
24th February 2008, 09:52 PM
The iBook had a plastic case, so the bottom side would never get that hot, since plastic doesn't conduct heat well. Have you ever had a laptop with a metal case before? From all reports, the MBA is cooler than any of the other metal-cased PBs/MBPs.

mjankor
24th February 2008, 09:54 PM
Could just be you've got a problem with that machine. I remember when the MBP's first came out a lot of them ran much hotter than they were supposed to.

Geoff3DMN
24th February 2008, 10:04 PM
I honestly think my MBA runs hotter than my iBook, and hotter than any other notebook

My SO's MBA runs considerably cooler on my lap than does my MacBook Pro although both are hotter than the MacBook.

gareth
24th February 2008, 10:08 PM
how hot exactly does the MBA get ? and what does it idle at ?

PAddLePoP
24th February 2008, 10:19 PM
Surprisingly, it's the powersource which is the warmest not the CPU on my Air.

I'm however quite tempted to take apart my air and reapply the thermal grease on my CPU.

I'm not sure you would really want to do that, trust me, I was at the tech briefing for the MBA and we took it apart, that repair would not be for the faint of heart.