PDA

View Full Version : Help! I need a new Macbook Keyboard

fishinthecity
24th February 2008, 04:46 PM
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a place to urgently buy a new keyboard for my White CD Macbook? I broke the keyboard connector accidentally today and now need to find a replacement ASAP :( I can get one from the US for about $75 posted, but I'm not sure if that is a good deal or not and it will take 6 - 10 business days to be delivered.

Any help appreciated, thanks..

iPirate
24th February 2008, 04:52 PM
Try an Apple Service centre?

And how on earth did you break that? That's amongst the non-user-servicable parts (user-servicable parts being RAM, HDD).

bennyling
24th February 2008, 04:52 PM
What were you doing, taking off your keyboard in the first place???

Anyway, the only place you'll be able to get a MacBook top case is either online or from a reseller through an Out of Warranty job - about 5-10 business days, and no idea on price...

fishinthecity
24th February 2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the replies so far.. I know it isn't a user serviceable part however that isn't really the point, I just want to find a replacement keyboard, and I thought someone might have another idea where I could get one from.

silverdreamer
24th February 2008, 04:59 PM
There's gotta be a story here somewhere, what where you doing/thinking?

Take the poor thing to a qualified tech.:(

leon
24th February 2008, 05:06 PM
There is a Macbook on here that someones sister burnt with a candle. Maybe you could work out a deal to purchase it from them for parts.

undertow
24th February 2008, 05:22 PM
I think a service centre would be your only option apart from possibly ebay.

fishinthecity
24th February 2008, 06:06 PM
There's gotta be a story here somewhere, what where you doing/thinking?

Nah, not really a story, I've had it apart several times in the past, and this time it just got away from me a little.. no biggie, just want it fixed ASAP, so have ordered a replacement from the states. If that doesn't work out, then I'll take it to NextByte and get them to quote on it.

Squozen
24th February 2008, 06:12 PM
$75 US is a lot cheaper than a part from Apple Australia. :)

iPirate
24th February 2008, 06:32 PM
Heck, most Macs in the US are a lot cheaper from Apple Australia. Let alone parts.

zmit
26th February 2008, 11:58 PM
mmhm. $200 for a replacement keyboard/top cover for me. thankfully it was a warranty job

Byrd
27th February 2008, 08:11 AM
How did you brake it? Some of us technical (OK, read: tight) types might be able to suggest ways on how to repair it ...

JB

anarchron
27th February 2008, 08:53 AM
Where did you buy your part from?

I find that ifixit have some pretty decent replacement parts.

fishinthecity
28th February 2008, 11:10 AM
How did you brake it? Some of us technical (OK, read: tight) types might be able to suggest ways on how to repair it ...

Trust me, it isn't repairable I'm afraid, but shit happens :) I found the replacement on the US eBay site, hopefully it'll arrive next week and I can get the old MacBook up and running again.. Good thing I bought a MBP the other week and I am not reliant upon the MB!