PDA

View Full Version : Fax troubles in OS X

psyke
18th March 2005, 11:53 AM
Hi all,

Is anyone aware of problems with the faxing capabilities of either OS X (Panther 10.3.7) or newer Macs (eMac & iMac G5)? The Mac is now not hanging up the phone line, or thinking it hasn't.

I have just migrated a system from OS 9 on a slot-loading iMac for someone which was working pretty well and am now having strange problems where the Mac doesn't hang up the phone line!

Since moving up to OS X (and using PageSender not the built-in fax s/w) and having just run this on both an eMac and a new iMac G5, the problem of the Mac holding the line open has occurred on both inbound and outbound faxes. Sometimes the phone line is actually hung up, but the device has been left open so no more faxing can occur.

In either case, killing the fax software doesn't release the device, only a full reboot of the computer does so - and while shutting down it is just before the power cycles that the line is released!

I'm at wits end right now - I sent fax logs off to the PageSender developer, who suggested checking the lines, devices and connections which I have done - removing unneeded cables, double adaptors and a handset that was also on the line. Hasn't helped very much (if at all....)

Many thanks for any clues you might have!

DrewX
30th April 2005, 09:58 PM
A late reply is better than no reply :P

Maybe related to a bug in the OS that still hasn't been fixed. When it happens check your internet connection log. If it is what i suspect could be the problem it may have 'connect script error' (i am doing this from memory so forgive me if its not that exact wording).

According to the support base its a bug that relates to recieving faxes. If recieve faxes on this computer is enabled in your system prefs it can occur and mess with your dial up internet.

Its probably not an answer to your problem but the symptoms of the phone line not hanging up sound similar?!

hawker
30th April 2005, 10:29 PM
Have you tried using the fax program inside OS X... You might need to do this to get it working though:

Some folks have not been able to use Panther's faxing capabilities. Often this is accompanied by an error message that says: "There was a software error". Apple offers a fix that must be applied using OS X's Terminal:

1. Shut down the computer by choosing Shut Down from the Apple menu.
2. Start up in single-user mode by pressing Command-S during startup.
3. At the command prompt, type: mount -uw /
4. Press Return.
5. Type:

/Library/Receipts/Essentials.pkg/Contents/Resources/CreateSystemUsers

6. Press Return.
7. Type: reboot
8. Press Return.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25623

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?128...6a.10@.599b65fe (http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?128@245.OpZyaEznj6a.10@.599b65fe)

Another reason that faxing may not work is that you have a conflict with another faxing program that you have installed. In that case it may help to run the uninstaller for any other faxing programs that you have installed.

rob05
1st May 2005, 08:35 AM
Hi

If you are using Virex 7.5 or above this will also stop you from using most if not all faxing software as it is a known bug that they won't fix.

Rob

iSlayer
1st May 2005, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by rob05@May 1 2005, 09:35 AM
Hi

If you are using Virex 7.5 or above this will also stop you from using most if not all faxing software as it is a known bug that they won't fix.

Rob
if thats true then thats appalling from virex

hawker
1st May 2005, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by islayer@May 1 2005, 08:07 AM
if thats true then thats appalling from virex
It's not the first dodgy thing Apple have done!

iSlayer
1st May 2005, 09:56 AM
well apple dont make virex
the only give it away for free :)

hawker
1st May 2005, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by islayer@May 1 2005, 09:26 AM
well apple dont make virex
the only give it away for free :)
I thought they were getting rid of that now?!

iSlayer
1st May 2005, 10:02 AM
they did.no longer part of .mac for 10.4 users
10.3 users can still get it