PDA

View Full Version : Build This App

Peter Wells
23rd February 2008, 08:32 PM
Hello clever people.

Can someone please build this app for me:

What i want is a small app that basically allows me to switch the security preference to 'require a password to unlock this computer from sleep/screensaver" on and off from the menubar.

basically, i just want to be able to quickly lock my computer when at work, but have it wild and free at home..

kind of like how caffeine.app allows you to quickly turn on/off screensaver preferences.

anone who thinks they can build it, please do. i dont want the credit for the idea, just the app!

surely it cant be too hard.. :)

i even have a name - 9to5.

purana
23rd February 2008, 08:41 PM
I think that would be an alright app too. I see what you mean, you want it to be quickly enabled so when it has been you need a password to unlock from screen saver, then when you flip it back while your at home for example. No password required after wake from screen saver.

Slick :P

snark
23rd February 2008, 08:47 PM
Slightly off topic (apologies in advance), but is there a way to lock your Mac with a keyboard shortcut? Currently, I click on the account shortcut on the menu bar, and then click Login Window, but I'd prefer a kb shortcut like :cmd:-L or something.

p53
23rd February 2008, 08:56 PM
Slightly off topic (apologies in advance), but is there a way to lock your Mac with a keyboard shortcut? Currently, I click on the account shortcut on the menu bar, and then click Login Window, but I'd prefer a kb shortcut like :cmd:-L or something.

not a keyboard shortcut, but you could use hot corners. make one of the corners activate the screensaver in Expose prefs, and tick require password to wake from screen saver in Security prefs

STK
23rd February 2008, 09:01 PM
I would like this too. because when I'm at home I dont want to type in a password from sleep....

adamd
23rd February 2008, 09:05 PM
not a keyboard shortcut, but you could use hot corners. make one of the corners activate the screensaver in Expose prefs, and tick require password to wake from screen saver in Security prefs

That would be annoying... the amount of times I hit the hot corner of my co-workers machine today while I was using it... (BTW: my sales account is not yet setup...)

[MREVO8]
23rd February 2008, 09:06 PM
Can't you go in to Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access... then click the Keychain Access menu, select preferences and check the "Show status in menu bar".

Then click on the little padlock that appears in the manu bar and select "Lock screen". Then you need to enter your account password to unlock your screen.

EDIT: I didn't read the original post carefully... I see what you are after now, but I'll leave this here, because I found it particularly helpful when someone told me. lol

p53
23rd February 2008, 09:12 PM
That would be annoying... the amount of times I hit the hot corner of my co-workers machine today while I was using it... (BTW: my sales account is not yet setup...)

i know what you mean. that was VERY annoying in Tiger, but it's hard to accidentally activate it in leopard - you have to sit your mouse there for a couple of seconds to activate it.

Peter Wells
23rd February 2008, 09:14 PM
cool I'll try that when I get home

adamd
23rd February 2008, 09:16 PM
;452118']Can't you go in to Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access... then click the Keychain Access menu, select preferences and check the "Show status in menu bar".

Then click on the little padlock that appears in the manu bar and select "Lock screen". Then you need to enter your account password to unlock your screen.

EDIT: I didn't read the original post carefully... I see what you are after now, but I'll leave this here, because I found it particularly helpful when someone told me. lol

I use that method... But I'd like a keyboard shortcut... :)

dev_enter
23rd February 2008, 09:25 PM
http://members.iinet.net.au/~bahamut/ToggleWakePassword/ToggleWakePassword.app.zip

tell application "System Events"
tell security preferences
set require password to wake to not (get require password to wake)
end tell
end tell

PowerPC
23rd February 2008, 09:58 PM

Set the hot corner to only activate when you have another key down. While defining the hot corner action, hold down ctrl, option, command etc and the symbols will change. Then you'll have to hold down the key while sending the mouse into the corner before it'll activate. There's no delay when activating hot corners with this method, either. I activate my screensaver with password using ctrl and the top left corner.

decryption
23rd February 2008, 10:23 PM
I made a little automator app, that when launched, locks your desktop.
Here it is if you want it: http://heyinternet.com/stuff/lockdesk.zip

adamd
23rd February 2008, 10:33 PM
Set the hot corner to only activate when you have another key down. While defining the hot corner action, hold down ctrl, option, command etc and the symbols will change. Then you'll have to hold down the key while sending the mouse into the corner before it'll activate. There's no delay when activating hot corners with this method, either. I activate my screensaver with password using ctrl and the top left corner.

Thanks.. :)
That's a really good one ... I owe you...

There, debt is gone :)

snark
24th February 2008, 07:35 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, apps etc. I've learnt some new things about screen savers, keychain, hot corners, etc. which is really good.

I'd still prefer a keyboard shortcut to just bring up the login window.

teamshaw
24th February 2008, 09:23 AM
Could you possibly do something in Quicksilver and make a hotkey through that? I'm not really good at Quicksilver yet, but I am learning and have been using it to assign hotkeys to run scripts in iTunes etc so it might work for this purpose.

snark
24th February 2008, 10:11 AM
Could you possibly do something in Quicksilver and make a hotkey through that? I'm not really good at Quicksilver yet, but I am learning and have been using it to assign hotkeys to run scripts in iTunes etc so it might work for this purpose.

That's a brilliant idea, plus, I've just discovered that there is an update (1.2) to Dockables (http://getdockables.com/) that adds a new action 'Lock Screen'.

Open Quicksilver preferences, create a custom trigger for lock screen.app (I'm using ^L), and Bob's your mother's brother. :D

iPirate
24th February 2008, 01:08 PM
Hot corners tip: press a modifier key when you select the corner. For me the hot corners only work if you press shift when the mouse goes there (and otherwise no action).

Peter Wells
25th February 2008, 08:43 AM
hey, there've been some great soultions, but my main issue is i'm lazy, stupid and forgetful. which is why i want this app built..

something i forgot to mention in the original post was i wanted to be able to schedule times i was at work, so it could be completely foolproof.

ie from 9-5 monday to friday, the screen locks automatically, all other times its wild and free..

stevejay
25th February 2008, 09:25 AM
It should be possible to write an applescript that senses your Location and switches your security settings accordingly. Then it's just a matter of having it as a background script (never stops running) and set it as a startup item so that it runs on boot.

Devil
25th February 2008, 09:48 AM
I just use hot corners. The top right hand corner for screensaver on (with password to unlock) and the other three for disable screensaver. Screensaver is set to come on at minimum amount of time - 3 minutes.

Just get used to putting the mouse into the top right hand corner at work and the top left hand corner at home. It didn't take me long to get used to this (despite being lazy, stupid and forgetful).

However, I can see that 9to5 would be useful, and that some genius out there should make it and hit the Fortune 500 shareware author list.

adamd
25th February 2008, 05:43 PM
I just use hot corners. The top right hand corner for screensaver on (with password to unlock) and the other three for disable screensaver. Screensaver is set to come on at minimum amount of time - 3 minutes.

Just get used to putting the mouse into the top right hand corner at work and the top left hand corner at home. It didn't take me long to get used to this (despite being lazy, stupid and forgetful).

However, I can see that 9to5 would be useful, and that some genius out there should make it and hit the Fortune 500 shareware author list.

Do I not remember a scheduling thingo in OS9?
Where did that go?