PDA

View Full Version : new macbook - cant instal 10.5 on it

the_cripple
23rd February 2008, 09:49 AM
Bought a macbook of a mate, but he's misplaced the install dvds so while he finds the discs I did a format and tried to install 10.5 on it.

I restart the machine, and it loads up the installer. I click english language, it thinks, then comes up with mac osx cannot be installed on this machine.

I'm stumped, anyideas?

dev_enter
23rd February 2008, 09:56 AM
Are these restore discs for another machine? If so, they won't work.

the_cripple
23rd February 2008, 10:14 AM
Are these restore discs for another machine? If so, they won't work.

just a normal copy of 10.5.

astr0b0y
23rd February 2008, 10:15 AM
Go into Disk Utility and reformat the drive.

leon
23rd February 2008, 10:15 AM
Is there enough free space on the HDD to perform the install. I think you need something like 9 GB free.

soulman
23rd February 2008, 10:24 AM
Does the machine need a firmware update perhaps? Run Software Update & see what it says you need to install.

the_cripple
23rd February 2008, 10:28 AM
Does the machine need a firmware update perhaps? Run Software Update & see what it says you need to install.

ive already formated it so I can't do that.

Im reformatting it again to see if that does the trick, as theres more then enough free space (80gb drive).

Aladdin
23rd February 2008, 10:59 AM
Is this the latest release MacBook? Did Leopard come pre-installed?

If so, it was released after Leopard was made available.

In this case, I think that OS 10.5.0 will be an older build than the version pre-installed in the MacBook, and therefore can't be installed on it.

silverdreamer
23rd February 2008, 11:10 AM
Is this the latest release MacBook? Did Leopard come pre-installed?

If so, it was released after Leopard was made available.

In this case, I think that OS 10.5.0 will be an older build than the version pre-installed in the MacBook, and therefore can't be installed on it.

That makes no sense at all.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you go and buy a Macbook today, it will have Leopard 10.5.0 installed, and once you plug it into the net, it will search Software update for any new update available, and request download.

It will then update itself to 10.5.2.

soulman
23rd February 2008, 11:49 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, but if you go and buy a Macbook today, it will have Leopard 10.5.0 installed...My Mac Pro shipped with 10.5.1. I would guess other recent hardware would also. This means that it is possible for a 10.5.0 install to not work - it would not be the first time Apple have done this.

It would be helpful to get the original install DVDs. Has the OP tried hassling his mate to find them?

Currawong
23rd February 2008, 12:02 PM
Someone else posted having the same problem, though I can't find the thread. Do make sure it's not the screen where you have to click on "Options..." to do an Archive install because the 10.5 installed is 10.5.1 or 10.5.2.

mestevie
23rd February 2008, 12:32 PM
Someone else posted having the same problem, though I can't find the thread. Do make sure it's not the screen where you have to click on "Options..." to do an Archive install because the 10.5 installed is 10.5.1 or 10.5.2.

Thats what I thought...there is already an OS installed...or at least remnants of it..and the leopard disk is getting confused.

But the OP said the drive has been reformatted...

sendai
23rd February 2008, 01:20 PM
Check your partition scheme. While Intel Macs can boot from APM, the OS X installer won't let you install on-to an APM partition. If the partition scheme is APM, repartition to GPT and it should just work :)

dagaz
23rd February 2008, 02:43 PM
I have the exact same MacBook, the latest C2D 2.2 GHz. The Install Disks and booklet both point out (as does Aladdin above) that you can only install OSX onto these MacBooks using the Restore Disks that come with them. The reason being the graphics drivers for the new graphics card (X3100) weren't included with the original 10.5.0 Install Disks. From Apple's support page (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306766):

other Mac OS X 10.5 installation disks will not work on the MacBook (13-inch Late 2007)

the_cripple
23rd February 2008, 03:03 PM
I have the exact same MacBook, the latest C2D 2.2 GHz. The Install Disks and booklet both point out (as does Aladdin above) that you can only install OSX onto these MacBooks using the Restore Disks that come with them. The reason being the graphics drivers for the new graphics card (X3100) weren't included with the original 10.5.0 Install Disks. From Apple's support page (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306766):

Thanks for that. Seems a bit silly, but oh well.

My mate found the discs so when I go around and get them it should be sweet.

Thanks for all the help people :)