PDA

View Full Version : iBook vs Powerbook

mdmcholet
18th March 2005, 10:05 AM
Hi All,

Just trying to decide whether to go a iBook or a Powerbook.

I am going to Salary Sacrifice one next month and interested in peoples opinions.
I am getting one because I just want one, so dont need it for any particular reason (so dont need top specs etc).

So looking at the 12" model of Powerbook or the 14" iBook with superdrive/512mb ram/bluetooth - so roughly around the same cost.

Thoughts?

Cheers
Zara

blindfox
18th March 2005, 10:14 AM
I'd go a 12" PB, more grunt, better video. Can do dual display to external screen. Also looks cooler?

I have an old G3 600 14. Although the 14" has a physically bigger screen it can still display nothing higher the 1024x786 (just like the 12"). Although I hear you can use the spanning hack to display a higher res on an external monitor.

But for the money, I'd go the 12 - no doubt.

I'm in a similar situation and may be able to get salary sacrifice soon - my dilemma is whether to go the 12" or 15" PB ??

Cheers, Nick

hawker
18th March 2005, 10:39 AM
Powerbook :)

They're just better :D

Chr1s
18th March 2005, 10:54 AM
I like my ibook because the covers can be modified to different colours, or to include other pictures.

iluvmymactoo
18th March 2005, 11:15 AM
You might want to take a look at my recent review of the 12" Rev D PowerBook ('http://www.appletalk.com.au/articles/index.php?article=5535')

I upgraded from a G4 12" iBook and have no regrets.

TIJUANA
18th March 2005, 11:18 AM
I had this same type of decision...the deciding factor for me was the 3 inches. Even though I know the resolution isn't that great and the graphics and on and on and on.....but that was the deciding factor for me. Size matters to me. lol :lol:

p.s.
I have offficially made the switch to apple, and thanks to Ozi - one of the memberse here =)

gmask1
18th March 2005, 11:34 AM
Personally, I couldn't live with a 12 inch screen, unless I also got an external one for desk-based work.

IMHO, I'd save some more money! :)

vid
18th March 2005, 11:35 AM
Powerbook, the screen on my 2 Year old iBook is not a patch on my PB for clarity.

I would say though software was an issue with me my PB did NOT come with Appleworks or Worldbook (or games which I don't care about, but my kids DID) I've had the PB since July last so I'm not sure if they have worked out the software issue yet.

They said the PB is a "professional" unit and they "Apple" expect people buying these machines have their own software like Office etc.

Good Luck with your decision.

mdmcholet
18th March 2005, 11:51 AM
Thanks everyone - this will be the "second mac in the household" as already have an G5 20" iMac.

And I think overall the Powerbook is coming up as the winner so far :)

helloroto
18th March 2005, 12:22 PM
Well you could buy an iBook G4 12" and a Mac Mini 1.25ghz for the price of the 12" Powerbook :P :D

Ozi
18th March 2005, 12:28 PM
ahhh, but roto you could by 17 Kia Rios for the price of a Ferarri. Comprendé? :lol:

vargz
18th March 2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by mdmcholet@Mar 18 2005, 11:51 AM
And I think overall the Powerbook is coming up as the winner so far :)
Yeah it is, but good luck getting one. Unless the store you go to has it in stock then you'll have an indefinite wait.

I just asked the AppleCentre for delivery times on PBs. They couldn't provide even a worst-case supply date for the 12s and 15s. 17s are apparently easier to supply.

So I'll wait to see what NextByte and the Apple Store have to say, but i think the situation is looking grim and I'll be using my BenQ Joybook for a while yet.

the_OM
18th March 2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Ozi@Mar 18 2005, 12:28 PM
ahhh, but roto you could by 17 Kia Rios for the price of a Ferarri. Comprendé? :lol:
Ahh but you can't cluster 17 Kia Rio's to take one corner with combined engine power!

Galumay
18th March 2005, 04:03 PM
mdmcholet, i have just gone thru the same thing, in my case i decided to salary sacrafice for a 15"PB. I guess my decision worked the other way round, I calculated how much was the maximum i could afford without salary sac. and then grossed that figure up and ordered the best i could afford - the 15"PB!! Remember that any upgrades like extra RAM you order with the machine effectively cost you half price if you get them CTO. ordered mine on the 28th feb and it shipped today - 18 days

LCGuy
18th March 2005, 05:51 PM
PowerBook PowerBook PowerBook. Need i say more?

mdmcholet
22nd March 2005, 09:34 AM
Well H2B and I have decided that the Powerbook has won!!!

And will go shopping when back from our honeymoon :) - getting married in 1.5 weeks! :D

But now he thinks we will need a 15"....

Thanks for everyones advice and opinions.

Cheers