PDA

View Full Version : AutoCAD on VMware OR Parallels

hiredgoon
22nd February 2008, 09:08 AM
Hello hello,

I did a forum search about this but wasnt able to locate anything relating to this particular program.

I would like to run AutoCAD on my 15" mbp c2d 4gig ram, running tiger 10.4.11.

I have read about both of these applications and cannot come to a conclusion. I would be running it through Windows XP. Is anybody else doing this? Is it actually stable enough to get some decent work done?

generally only 2d drafting. And the only plotter i would set up is an adobe pdf - can i use the same one i have running in my mac os x platform?

I dont think I would be running any other programs as I have found other graphics programs like photoshop to run better on mac... Its just AutoCAD that keeps me going back to my PC... Very annoying!

Would appreciate greatly some feedback or links to informative sites regarding this matter..

gameon
22nd February 2008, 09:12 AM
my dads an architect, got him a 15" 2.6gz mbpro
after numerous windows pcs

hes only had it a few months and is running autocad via bootcamp
i am about to purchase fusion so he can run it virtually

he says he hates using windows now and showed him what fusion can do

will have to bump him up from 2 to 4gb ram

will let you know how it runs after i do it

gameon
22nd February 2008, 09:12 AM
i should add, he says autocad flies in bootcamp even with just 2gb ram

hiredgoon
22nd February 2008, 09:33 AM
ahhh nice. would like to know how this goes on 4gig.

im hoping to not have to rely on using my pc for much... infact might even sell it for a desktop mac depending on the stability and future of mac's ability to run autocad. im sure it will only get better!?

detail
22nd February 2008, 10:11 AM
Gee why would anyone still want to use Autocad.

That's so 80s.

There's other programs that are compatible and work heaps better.

Archicad, Vectorworks

They don't have a steep learning curve for 2D work and more intuitive.

hiredgoon
22nd February 2008, 10:29 AM
mostly compatibility issues, can i give some one using autoCAD an Archicad or Vectorworks file for them to review / edit? then return to me to continue working on?

i have learnt the basics of archiCAD, have been considering vectorworks, but it seems that the industry standard is autoCAD-- for now.

Disko
22nd February 2008, 10:42 AM
our designer uses Autocad on a Mac pro at work.

The setup is XP Installed via bootcamp, then accessed via parallels. The performance is good on the mac pro.