PDA

View Full Version : Macbook keyboard roblem

mestevie
21st February 2008, 09:15 PM
Hi All

Its a sad day.

Last night I installed the macbook keyboard udate recently released by the co from california.

Today, whilst using my macbook, i realised that the letter between o and [ on my keyboard is not working.

It WAS working beforehand, but now its not. definitely intermittent.

any ideas? Is it a hardware roblem that is coincidental with the keyboard udate?

Thanks

edit:

just did a safe re boot, and now the p key works....and now it doesnt...

Fingers crossed this is an OS roblem and not a hardware roblem

Duoh!!! there it goes again!

Any ideas would be areciated muchly

Brains
22nd February 2008, 10:05 AM
When keys become intermittent, it is often a hardware problem.

If you're feeling game, follow the disassembly guides over at iFixit (http://www.ifixit.com), remove the keyboard, and give it a thorough cleaning. Bounce it on its edge a few times then turn upside down, pat the back firmly and repeatedly to dislodge grit, shake loose crap out and perhaps even use a toothpick to try and remove any visible fluff from underneath the keys.

If the P key is still playing up on you, then you might need to order in a replacement.

krafty
22nd February 2008, 10:53 AM
i had a key stick & apple replaced the keyboard, this was only after day 1 of ownership so i don't know how you'll go.
good luck with it

zmit
22nd February 2008, 02:18 PM
wow. my macbook JUST started doing the same thing.

i took it in to get the top cover replaced under warranty (the tabs on the top wore away at the bottom plastic) and it came back with a dodgy 'w' key. intermittent as the OP described

i just got it back but the battery is dead so i havent been able to test it out yet.

mestevie
22nd February 2008, 07:18 PM
When keys become intermittent, it is often a hardware problem.

If you're feeling game, follow the disassembly guides over at iFixit (http://www.ifixit.com), remove the keyboard, and give it a thorough cleaning. Bounce it on its edge a few times then turn upside down, pat the back firmly and repeatedly to dislodge grit, shake loose crap out and perhaps even use a toothpick to try and remove any visible fluff from underneath the keys.

If the P key is still playing up on you, then you might need to order in a replacement.

Hi All thanks for the responses. I turned the laptop on again this evening and the p has still been intermittent. I powered off, turned the macbook upside down, and gave it the gentle pats suggested. I also blew firmly between the spaces beside the p key. Upon powering on it seems that the p key now wants to play again.

This appears to be a mechanical issue then, with some sort of debris stuck under my keys. hopefully whatever it was has been dislodged....but I think I have just made up my mind about purchasing applecare later this year... i definitely will be!!

until then ....ppppppppppppppppppp:D

Fingers crossed it doesnt come back.

Cheers
Mestevie

Byrd
23rd February 2008, 08:33 AM
Have you tried this?

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbookmacbookprokeyboardfirmwareupdate10.html

... crazy that even keyboards need a firmware update these days! :p

JB

Hamsmyth
23rd February 2008, 09:12 AM
Haha love the the thread title...That was intentional right?

mestevie
23rd February 2008, 11:41 AM
Haha love the the thread title...That was intentional right?

Thats what was happening at the time!!:)

So happy it seems to have been fixed.

mestevie
22nd March 2008, 10:22 AM
Thats what was happening at the time!!:)

So happy it seems to have been fixed.

Update:

Keyboard problem resurfaced.

Took it in to Mac1 for a warranty repair on Thursday afternoon.

Topcase replaced and ready for pickup Monday afternoon.

too easy.:)