PDA

View Full Version : Eudora 8.0.0b2 Any Good ?

Rodney9
20th February 2008, 08:44 PM
I am so sick of Mail not playing sounds correctly when mail arrives, even after 10,5,2 update,

So I was wondering is Eudora 8.0.0b2 any good? , or are there any other better more affordable mail programmes ?

decryption
20th February 2008, 08:44 PM
Try Thunderbird for Mac: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/

mechcon
20th February 2008, 08:47 PM
Eudora 8.0 IS thunderbird :D hahhaha And Thunderbird's development has pretty much stopped..

But I recall your problem with Apple Mail rodney.. absolute mystery, care to bring us up a thread where this discussion was? would love to investigate it again for ya, why? because I personally think tat AppleMail is the bees knees!

decryption
20th February 2008, 08:54 PM
Eudora 8.0 IS thunderbird :D hahhaha And Thunderbird's development has pretty much stopped..

Well butter my arse and call me a pigeon. I didn't know that!
I remember using Eudora back in the mid-90s, when Qualcomm owned it. Those were the days :D

Rodney9
20th February 2008, 09:10 PM
Does Eudora 8.0.0b2 look any better than Thunderbird ?
Thunderbird still looks so clunky like in my old Linux days, at least it does play sound.

mechcon
20th February 2008, 09:14 PM
I briefly saw Eudora on my bosses' computer, and I almost puked from laughter because it was basically thunderbird's gui/engine slapped on with the name Eudora :D with hints of that eudora familiarity.

http://www.applelinks.com/news/gifs/eu8win.jpg

Rodney9
20th February 2008, 09:20 PM
Well I tried Eudora, it looks even more ugly, if that's possible.
Looks like if I want to be notified automatically of new mail I am stuck with Thunderbird.
Sometimes I think I should go back to Linux, but I have spent so much money on this system I can't afford to give up.

mechcon
20th February 2008, 09:20 PM
wait wait wait wait.. dude, what is this problem you're having with apple mail? I wanna help you!!!

Rodney9
20th February 2008, 09:27 PM
wait wait wait wait.. dude, what is this problem you're having with apple mail? I wanna help you!!!

Thankyou, you are so nice, but no-one has been able to fix this bug on this or Apples forum except for clunky workarounds.

[http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1207534&tstart=50

Mail will not play sound when mail arrives.

Rodney

mechcon
20th February 2008, 09:30 PM
*rolls up sleeves* lets see...

AusMac
20th February 2008, 09:34 PM
Well Eudora has played sounds as alerts since year dot. Preferences/Getting attention.
Mail.app has a selection of sounds also Preferences/general/new mail sound.

So if you cannot hear it ask yourself have you rewired the sound? Have you turned sound off?

By "not playing sounds correctly" .. just what do you mean? Does it play the wrong sound? or is the sound distorted? or does it simply forget to play half of it?

halledise
20th February 2008, 09:34 PM
how do you stop Mail.app from making those annoying sounds when mail arrives?

seriously - Mail works fine for me on 3 machines on varying specs all running Leopard

am I unusual - or just grateful :o

Rodney9
20th February 2008, 09:37 PM
http://forums.mactalk.com.au/showthread.php?t=27312

iTunes plays music
Thunderbird plays sounds
Quicktime plays sound
Eric talks
Everything except mail notification

Look I don't, I can't, go through this all again

What is a good looking, affordable alternative to mail ?

AusMac
20th February 2008, 09:47 PM
Well I brought Eudora over from MAC OS 9 to OS 10.2 and still use Eudora .. 6.2
I have only ever opened Mail.app when someone asks a question about it .. it has nil messages.,

Um how do you stop it? select none under new mail sound.

Well I cannot replicate the problem on my G4.

Have you tried tossing mail preferences and restarting?

The Architect.mac
20th February 2008, 09:47 PM
i too have seen your few threads on this and also seeking apple forum help...

like mechon, it interests me...

i get your hardware and os from sig...

clean install, archive install, speakers attached, pacifist reinstall of mail and blah - permissions repair?

cheers mate..

silverdreamer
20th February 2008, 09:49 PM
Remove the DivX plug inn for Quicktime. Then do a restart.

Rodney9
21st February 2008, 01:21 PM
Remove the DivX plug inn for Quicktime. Then do a restart.

Where is the DivX plug ?
I have searched for " DivX " and "DivX plug" but Spotlight can't find it.

Rodney.

PS: Still looking for a good looking, affordable alternative to mail ?

silverdreamer
21st February 2008, 01:44 PM
You may not have it installed, it's in Applications if you have. Was just a thought, i know it was playing havoc with someone else's Mail App, and removing solved the problem, so thought it worth a shot.:)

gallet
25th February 2008, 12:18 AM
Mail Unread Menu, no sound but it's a notification in the menu bar. And they have finally fixed the mysterious crashing problem.